Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > IE starting in offline mode after a reboot

IE starting in offline mode after a reboot

Jack B. Pollack

I am running Win98/Internet Explorer 6 and recently started having a strange
problem when I launch IE for the first time after a reboot it is always in
the 'Work Offline' mode. I click on 'Try again' and it connects.

I am connected to the Net using DSL - PPOE through a router. The router is
set to always stay connected, and it is not a time out issue since I can
reboot 15 seconds after being connected and still revert back to the offline
mode in IE.

I have tried checking and unchecking the 'Work offline' option in IE, but
still revert to offline after a reboot.

I have tried resetting the registry value "GlobalUserOffline" and even tried
deleting it. Didn't help.

My connection settings in IE are set to 'Never dial a connection'

Anyone have any idea how to fix this, it is not a big deal and only requires
one extra click, but it previously worked correctly.

Thanks guys.

Unk

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 18:51:15 -0400, "Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I am running Win98/Internet Explorer 6 and recently started having a strange
>problem when I launch IE for the first time after a reboot it is always in
>the 'Work Offline' mode. I click on 'Try again' and it connects.
>
>I am connected to the Net using DSL - PPOE through a router. The router is
>set to always stay connected, and it is not a time out issue since I can
>reboot 15 seconds after being connected and still revert back to the offline
>mode in IE.
>
>I have tried checking and unchecking the 'Work offline' option in IE, but
>still revert to offline after a reboot.
>
>I have tried resetting the registry value "GlobalUserOffline" and even tried
>deleting it. Didn't help.
>
>My connection settings in IE are set to 'Never dial a connection'
>
>Anyone have any idea how to fix this, it is not a big deal and only requires
>one extra click, but it previously worked correctly.
>
>Thanks guys.

Click Start, Settings, Control Panel
Double Click "Add/Remove Programs" Icon
Click the "Install/Uninstall" tab
Scroll down to "Microsoft Interner Explorer, and double click it.
A new box open up: Click "Repair Internet Explorer"

@}-}-------Rosee

I, also, have this problem and the only way I could get anything to
work online is to go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan
Settings>Automatically detect settings. I must launch Internet Explorer
before I check my mail with Mail Washer, EZAV Autodownload, etc. The
Microsoft Q instructions did not work for me.....;o( Your mileage may
vary. I am running XP Professional with all of the critical updates
except for the Windows Media Player updates. I don't use it and have
uninstalled it. Good luck....;o)

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Unk

Have you run the Network Wizard?
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New Connection
Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup my connection
manually", and pick your type of connection.

On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:59:04 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"
<!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote:

>I, also, have this problem and the only way I could get anything to
>work online is to go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>Lan
>Settings>Automatically detect settings. I must launch Internet Explorer
>before I check my mail with Mail Washer, EZAV Autodownload, etc. The
>Microsoft Q instructions did not work for me.....;o( Your mileage may
>vary. I am running XP Professional with all of the critical updates
>except for the Windows Media Player updates. I don't use it and have
>uninstalled it. Good luck....;o)
>
>"Jack B. Pollack" <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
>
>> I am running Win98/Internet Explorer 6 and recently started having a
>> strange problem when I launch IE for the first time after a reboot it
>> is always in the 'Work Offline' mode. I click on 'Try again' and it
>> connects.
>>
>> I am connected to the Net using DSL - PPOE through a router. The
>> router is set to always stay connected, and it is not a time out issue
>> since I can reboot 15 seconds after being connected and still revert
>> back to the offline mode in IE.
>>
>> I have tried checking and unchecking the 'Work offline' option in IE,
>> but still revert to offline after a reboot.
>>
>> I have tried resetting the registry value "GlobalUserOffline" and even
>> tried deleting it. Didn't help.
>>
>> My connection settings in IE are set to 'Never dial a connection'
>>
>> Anyone have any idea how to fix this, it is not a big deal and only
>> requires one extra click, but it previously worked correctly.
>>
>> Thanks guys.

@}-}-------Rosee

Yep....;o(

Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Unk

One more place....
Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, double-click
"Local Area Connection", "Support" tab, click the "Repair" button.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"
<!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote:

>Yep....;o(
>
>Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Have you run the Network Wizard?
>> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New
>> Connection Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup
>> my connection manually", and pick your type of connection.

>> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:59:04 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
>>>I, also, have this problem and the only way I could get anything to
>>>work online is to go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>
>>>Lan Settings>Automatically detect settings. I must launch Internet
>>>Explorerbefore I check my mail with Mail Washer, EZAV Autodownload,
>>>etc. The Microsoft Q instructions did not work for me.....;o( Your
>>>mileage may vary. I am running XP Professional with all of the
>>>critical updates except for the Windows Media Player updates. I
>>>don't use it and have uninstalled it. Good luck....;o)

>>>"Jack B. Pollack"chiseled in stone, the following words:

Unk

Sometimes you have to run "ipconfig" and "Release", then "Renew" your NIC's
IP address. XP's "ipconfig" is a PIA as you have to run it from a CMD
prompt, so download Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for Windows 2k, NT, XP.
It's called "Wntipcfg.exe" and it's just like the "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows
98 and runs directly from Windows.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...wntipcfg-o.asp

On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"
<!!GigAntiCBoSomS!!@Nip..com> wrote:

>Yep....;o(
>
>Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
>news:(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> Have you run the Network Wizard?
>> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New
>> Connection Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup
>> my connection manually", and pick your type of connection.

>> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004 23:59:04 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
>>>I, also, have this problem and the only way I could get anything to
>>>work online is to go to Control Panel>Internet Options>Connections>
>>>Lan Settings>Automatically detect settings. I must launch Internet
>>>Explorerbefore I check my mail with Mail Washer, EZAV Autodownload,
>>>etc. The Microsoft Q instructions did not work for me.....;o( Your
>>>mileage may vary. I am running XP Professional with all of the
>>>critical updates except for the Windows Media Player updates. I
>>>don't use it and have uninstalled it. Good luck....;o)

@}-}-------Rosee

Nope, doesn't work. I tried both suggestions again for schitts and
grins....;o(

Thanks for the help "irregardless".....;oD

Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> One more place....
> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, double-
> click "Local Area Connection", "Support" tab, click the "Repair"
> button.

> On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
>>Yep....;o(

>>Unk chiseled in stone, the following words:
>>> Have you run the Network Wizard?
>>> Click Start, Settings, Control Panel, Network Connections, New
>>> Connection Wizard. Next, "Connect to the Internet", Next, "Setup
>>> my connection manually", and pick your type of connection.

<schnippen>

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

@}-}-------Rosee

I'm ass-u-me ing, the command I type, CMD, then "ipconfig /release
*Con*" then "ipconfig /renew" does this? Or am I missing
something?.....;oD

PS It's morning now and I've gotten a little sleep....;o) I couldn't
install Wntipcfg.exe. I get an error: "Error reading from file:
C:\Docume~1\Rosee\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\WntIpcf g.msi. Verify that
the file exists and that you can access it." On a retry, I get Internal
Error 2755. 1622, C:\DOCUME~1\Rosee\LOCAL~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP
\WntIpcfg.msi I've gotten this error once before and searched Google for
"Error reading from file", "Verify that the file exists and that you can
access it.", "Internal Error 2755", "Internal Error 1622."
The search turned up nothing applicable to my problem, other than it
happens when installing a program.

I will try a few more things on these searches, when my mom has been
moved. I'm waiting on them to load said 24 foot truck, as I am the
only one authorized to drive it. Lucky me....my demise for being an
only child....;o/

Unk <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the following words
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Sometimes you have to run "ipconfig" and "Release", then "Renew" your
> NIC's IP address. XP's "ipconfig" is a PIA as you have to run it
> from a CMD prompt, so download Microsoft's IPConfig Utility for
> Windows 2k, NT, XP. It's called "Wntipcfg.exe" and it's just like the
> "Winipcfg.exe" in Windows 98 and runs directly from Windows.
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000...ls/existing/wn

> ipcfg-o.asp

> On Sat, 01 May 2004 01:08:44 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee" wrote:
>>Yep....;o(

<schnippen>

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Unk

Create a new folder (C:\Utilities)
Right-click the link and "Save as..." to C:\Utilities
http://download.microsoft.com/downlo...pcfg_setup.exe
Then install it from there. If it STILL fails to install, you have a more
serious problem.
If it installs, run it and click "Release All". When all the addresses go to
zeros, click "Renew All"

Rosee, when I've come across this problem on the bench, I've always managed
to restore internet connectability. As a last resort, delete your "Local
Area Connection", and run the Network Wizard to create a new one.

On Sat, 01 May 2004 10:35:35 -0500, "@}-}-------Rosee"