Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Problem Burning CDS

Problem Burning CDS

sterling@fuse.net

Here's the full story. When I got the new Win XP Home system, I used
ghosting software to bring application
software and settings from my older Win ME system. The older system had
an add-on external CD-RW drive
which came with Nero burner software.

Unfortunately the Nero software also got transferred over to the new
system as well. It seems to have annointed
CD-ROM drive D as the CD-RW drive, and the real CD-RW drive E won't
write. I just get an error
message that there is no CD in the drive (because it is reading the
wrong unit.)

I have uninstalled Nero but the problem remains. Reversing the drive
letters hasn't worked. Uninstalling each drive and rebooting Windows to
"rediscover" the drives also hasn't worked.

The guy from the manufacturer says only a complete drive wipe and Win XP
reinstall will fix it. That I don't want to do. All ideas are welcomed.

Toolman Tim

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's the full story. When I got the new Win XP Home system, I used
> ghosting software to bring application
> software and settings from my older Win ME system. The older system had
> an add-on external CD-RW drive
> which came with Nero burner software.
>
> Unfortunately the Nero software also got transferred over to the new
> system as well. It seems to have annointed
> CD-ROM drive D as the CD-RW drive, and the real CD-RW drive E won't
> write. I just get an error
> message that there is no CD in the drive (because it is reading the
> wrong unit.)
>
> I have uninstalled Nero but the problem remains. Reversing the drive
> letters hasn't worked. Uninstalling each drive and rebooting Windows to
> "rediscover" the drives also hasn't worked.
>
> The guy from the manufacturer says only a complete drive wipe and Win XP
> reinstall will fix it. That I don't want to do. All ideas are welcomed.

The tech support guy is probably right. You *can't* overlay applications
from one OS on top of another OS. You can butcher things beyond repair.

You need to get the new computer set up again, install your applications,
then use the File And Settings Transfer Wizard to move your data, personal
settings, etc.