Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > how are newsgroups started?

how are newsgroups started?

spiritually_me

I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

spiritually_me wrote:

> I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
> possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

If the idea is correcty discussed in advance and then the control
message correctly composed, a newgroup command message would do the job
(in the alt heirarchy). But it's highly unlikely that any of the
propellerheads running the newsservers would give a damn or allow it on
their servers if there is any reason whatsoever to block it.

Or if you're really sure you have a great idea for a group that the
entire world would love and there is no other group that serves that
need, ask your news admin to do this for you.

Gary G. Taylor

spiritually_me wrote:

> I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
> possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

The first thing you need is two whole chickens. Live. Not dead. Preferably
angry. (Angry chickens help with group propagation to the servers. No one
knows why.)

Next you will need a portion of suitable incense to burn during the creation
ceremony. Sandalwood is nice.

You will also have to pay special attention to the required ritual dress.
Bare feet. Grass skirt. Mask hand carved of ebony. Two feathers of the
phoenix affixed to the brow of the mask such that when worn they appear to
be angled from the head in a forward leaning direction at approximately 45
degrees.

2 1/2 cups of all purpose flour.
Salt (to taste).
Hot oil.
Ceremonial knife.

Begin by dressing up in the ceremonial garb. Go outside just after dark to
your front lawn. If you don't have a lawn then the street in front of your
place of residence will do. The key is that it *must be* a public place
adjacent to your home and neighbors.

Light the incense. Kill both chickens and smear the blood across all of your
exposed skin.

Now grab both fowl by the feet, one to each hand, turn in circles forty
three and one half times exactly whilst chanting the name of your proposed
group in reverse.

Lather.

Rinse.

Repeat.

Pluck, gut, clean and cut chicken into serving size pieces, coat with flour,
season with salt and fry.

Wait two weeks and check usenet to see if your new group has propagated. If
not ... then go to http://www.google.com and search for "How do I start a
newsgroup?"

[Originally posted to 24hoursupport.helpdesk by Oxford Systems. This version
has been slightly edited.]

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Boomer

"spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
> possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

Google.com and fix your clock please. Thank you.

Blinky the Shark

spiritually_me wrote:

> I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
> possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

The cut-off was last year. You're too late.

--
Blinky Linux Registered User 4892F
AOL Diary: (New 4/22) http://snipurl.com/aoldiary

Sunny

Procedures exist for creating new newsgroups in other
hierarchies. The rules for creating new newsgroups in all
other hierarchies except alt are particularly detailed, and
can be found in regular postings in the newsgroup
news.announce.newusers. You can also find much relevant information
in the USENET FAQ repository at:
ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/
http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html
http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri...2/ncreate.html

news:40909592$0$56697$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:
>
> > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even if it's
> > possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it? TIA

> Google.com and fix your clock please. Thank you.

Boomer

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> Procedures exist for creating new newsgroups in other
> hierarchies. The rules for creating new newsgroups in all
> other hierarchies except alt are particularly detailed, and
> can be found in regular postings in the newsgroup
> news.announce.newusers. You can also find much relevant
> information in the USENET FAQ repository at:
> ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/
> http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/ncreate.html
> http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTri...2/ncreate.html

Why tell me?

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:40909592$0$56697$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
>> "spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:
>>
>> > I'd like to start a new group, but I have no idea how or even
>> > if it's possible. Does anyone know if it is and how to do it?
>> > TIA

>> Google.com and fix your clock please. Thank you.

Sunny

news:4091800b$0$195$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...
> Why tell me?

Did you miss >"spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)>
from the post ? Or is reading and comprehension a weak point ?

> "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:
> > Procedures exist for >

> > "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:40909592$0$56697$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> >> "spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> >> Google.com and fix your clock please. Thank you.

Boomer

"Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4091800b$0$195$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...
>> Why tell me?

> Did you miss >"spiritually_me" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> from the post ? Or is reading and comprehension a weak point ?
>
>> "Sunny" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:
>> > Procedures exist for >

>> > "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:40909592$0$56697$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...

You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

Please reply directly to the person you want to give the information
to.

Apparently replyint to the correct person is your weak area.

> You replied to me not the OP, 'spiritually_me".

<snip>
Crap, I left both of you in the thread, it's usernet not bloody e-mail.