Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Finding OLD Questions I posted here

Finding OLD Questions I posted here

fredcromer

When i'm trying to find an old Q, that i put here, say 10 days ago, no
matter how many times i goto TOOLS and D,LOAD the next 200 headers, it seems
to stop at a certain date and message (No rules set 2 do this), any Ideas as
2 why I keep gettin' next 200 headers and it won't go beyond about 10 days
ago......All the Best.FRED C........CHEERS....BTW,it keeps downloading 200
somethings,even if the list of messages stays the same, cos a blue line
shows downloads happenin' at the bottom of page...Hope you can tell me why
!!!...Nice One...

---

Trent SC

> When i'm trying to find an old Q, that i put here, say 10 days ago, no
> matter how many times i goto TOOLS and D,LOAD the next 200 headers, it

seems
> to stop at a certain date and message (No rules set 2 do this), any Ideas

as
> 2 why I keep gettin' next 200 headers and it won't go beyond about 10 days
> ago......All the Best.FRED C........CHEERS....BTW,it keeps downloading 200
> somethings,even if the list of messages stays the same, cos a blue line
> shows downloads happenin' at the bottom of page...Hope you can tell me why
> !!!...Nice One...

Your ISP probably has a retention that falls short of this timescale. Go to
google and look under the 'groups' tab for a frighteningly complete archive.

Boomer

"fredcromer" <(E-Mail Removed)> did say:

> When i'm trying to find an old Q, that i put here, say 10 days
> ago,

I don't know about the settings for your reader but you can look in
Googles archives for old messages.
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

> no matter how many times i goto TOOLS and D,LOAD the next 200
> headers, it seems to stop at a certain date and message (No rules
> set 2 do this), any Ideas as 2 why I keep gettin' next 200 headers
> and it won't go beyond about 10 days ago......All the Best.FRED
> C........CHEERS....BTW,it keeps downloading 200 somethings,even if
> the list of messages stays the same, cos a blue line shows
> downloads happenin' at the bottom of page...Hope you can tell me
> why !!!...Nice One...

°Mike°

You are expecting to find posts from 10 days
ago, by downloading 200 headers? Heck, this
group has an average of about 600 posts per
day, so make that 6,000 headers.

Either use a real newsreader, or go to Google
Groups, as already mentioned.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 23:41:31 +0100, in
<40903302$(E-Mail Removed)>
fredcromer scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

trout

fredcromer wrote:

> When i'm trying to find an old Q, that i put here, say 10 days ago, no
> matter how many times i goto TOOLS and D,LOAD the next 200 headers,
> it seems to stop at a certain date and message (No rules set 2 do
> this), any Ideas as 2 why I keep gettin' next 200 headers and it
> won't go beyond about 10 days ago......All the Best.FRED
> C........CHEERS....BTW,it keeps downloading 200 somethings,even if
> the list of messages stays the same, cos a blue line shows downloads
> happenin' at the bottom of page...Hope you can tell me why !!!...Nice
> One...

Additionally to the other responses; you could go to Tools; Options;
Read; and *un-check* the line "Get (X) headers at a time". This should
download *all* of the newsgroup posts that your server retains.
This feature can be set to up-to 1,000 (or as few as 50) headers. I
think Mike was being conservative in his estimation of 6,000, myself.
If you first apply the view "Show replies to my messages" (View;
Current View), it might be easier to see when you had downloaded enough.
But for a post that old; it may be easier to just go to Google (although
not everyone has their posts archived; so you might miss responses).
--
"That's a lot of headers."