Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Please, help me to cancel an AOL account

Please, help me to cancel an AOL account

silla

Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.

After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.

I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
been without response from AOL, why?

I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?

Thank you in advance for any suggestion

Mike Spivey

Tell your bank!That was the first thing you should have done and let AOL
sort it out later - make it their problem not yours.Best of luck.
"silla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
> period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
> because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
> connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
>
> After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
> charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
> I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
> cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
> time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
> account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
> service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
> contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
>
> I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
> passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
> feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
> e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
> suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
> been without response from AOL, why?
>
> I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
> Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
> I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion

TT

silla wrote:
> Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
> period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
> because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
> connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
>
> After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
> charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
> I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
> cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
> time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
> account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
> service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
> contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
>
> I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
> passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
> feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
> e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
> suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
> been without response from AOL, why?
>
> I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
> Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
> I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion

I too,have had the same experience in the past with AOL. My
suggestion is to first notify whomever handles the card you gave for the
payments to stop accepting them-if for some reason they will not-then I
would threaten to change banks...and follow through with the threat
immediately, if necessary. I would continue to find a number for AOL-if
you could get your hands on a free disk- I think the number is on the
sleeve. This is the site that I come up with on a google search, just
in case it's different- http://www.aol.com/support/index.adp
You cannot trust them to cancel even when they say they do, so as I
said, I would pay the fee for your bank to stop any more automatic
withdrawals from your account.
Good luck.
TT

Pat

Simply call your bank & get them to stop auto payments to AOL
"silla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
> period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
> because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
> connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
>
> After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
> charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
> I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
> cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
> time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
> account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
> service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
> contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
>
> I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
> passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
> feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
> e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
> suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
> been without response from AOL, why?
>
> I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
> Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
> I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion

ProfGene

When AOL continued to charge me for an account I was no longer using they
reimbursed my credit card but I was in the same country as the account so I
don't know why they won't honor your request. I don't think the Consulate
can do anything. You most likely haev to keep hounding AOL.
"silla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
> period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
> because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
> connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
>
> After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
> charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
> I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
> cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
> time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
> account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
> service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
> contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
>
> I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
> passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
> feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
> e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
> suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
> been without response from AOL, why?
>
> I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
> Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
> I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
>
> Thank you in advance for any suggestion

Tom F

THIEVES!

For 2 years I've been calling them asking to cancel my account, and I never even used it for more than an hour.
The amount reached to more than $700!
And Bellsouth, my phone company, has been charging me THEIR bill, and the money going to them,
although made specifically clear, was split and half of it was going to AOL. Now I owe money to both
AOL AND Bellsouth, and in some weird way Bellsouth decided to cut my DSL service off.
Do you see the irony? My DSL service gets cut off instantly while the AOL service I've never used and
requested to be canceled literally YEARS ago, is still up and running and I'm being charged for it. Why
didn't they just cut off THIS service instead?

I was forced to leave Bellsouth DSL, and Bellsouth the phone company, and I still owe the money...
One day I'll be able to afford a lawyer.

I read an article about a big lawsuit taken against them regarding the same thing.

If it's possible, and someone IS suing them, PLEASE contact me, although with big corporations
it's most unlikely.

"silla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
| Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
| period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
| because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
| connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
|
| After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
| charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
| I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
| cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
| time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
| account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
| service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
| contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
|
| I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
| passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
| feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
| e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
| suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
| been without response from AOL, why?
|
| I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
| Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
| I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?
|
| Thank you in advance for any suggestion

Gary G. Taylor

Tom F wrote:

> I read an article about a big lawsuit taken against them regarding the
> same thing.
>
> If it's possible, and someone IS suing them, PLEASE contact me, although
> with big corporations it's most unlikely.

Try going to alt.aol.sucks.
--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

TT

Here's what AOL had to say, Silla...hope it helps

> [...]
>
> Have a great day!
>

> Gio D.
> Customer Care Consultant
> TechMail Department
> America Online, Inc.

> As a recent customer(in the past few months), I thought someone ought to see this...this is a posting today on a usenet newsgroup asking for help with cancellation of an AOL account and it's getting ugly...
>

> I've been calling them asking to cancel my account, and I never even used it for more than an hour.
> The amount reached to more than $700!
> And Bellsouth, my phone company, has been charging me THEIR bill, and the money going to them,
> although made specifically clear, was split and half of it was going to AOL. Now I owe money to both
> AOL AND Bellsouth, and in some weird way Bellsouth decided to cut my DSL service off.
> Do you see the irony? My DSL service gets cut off instantly while the AOL service I've never used and
> requested to be canceled literally YEARS ago, is still up and running and I'm being charged for it. Why
> didn't they just cut off THIS service instead?
>
> I was forced to leave Bellsouth DSL, and Bellsouth the phone company, and I still owe the money...
> One day I'll be able to afford a lawyer.
>
> I read an article about a big lawsuit taken against them regarding the same thing.
>
> If it's possible, and someone IS suing them, PLEASE contact me, although with big corporations
> it's most unlikely.
>
> Here's the original posting, below...
>

> "silla" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed) om...
> | Last summer I have been in USA as a visiting scientist. During this
> | period I activated an AOL account that I canceled in a couple of hours
> | because the connection was too slow. I never used again the AOL
> | connection. Last september I went back to Italy, where I am now.
> |
> | After that, I realized that the account was still alive and AOL was
> | charging my bank account. I contacted the AOL support and they told me
> | I should send a fax with a list of information, asking the
> | cancellation. Starting on the beginning of January I tried a lot of
> | time to have the account canceled, but AOL still keep on charging my
> | account $23.90 each month. Up to now, they charged about $200 for a
> | service I never used. I used only the AOL e-mail only to try to
> | contact the AOL support asking to cancel the account.
> |
> | I sent the fax with all the requested info and with a copy of my
> | passport 8 times, on average 1 fax every two weeks, but I had no
> | feedback. The only answers I had, but not particularly useful, were by
> | e-mail (AOL support wrote me that they cannot do anything and the only
> | suggestion was to send a fax). During last month, also my email have
> | been without response from AOL, why?
> |
> | I don't know what I have to do, now: AOL support don't answer.
> | Should I tell my bank not to accept the AOL request of payment? Should
> | I close the bank account? Should I contact the USA consulate ?

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel TT decided it
was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> Here's what AOL had to say, Silla...hope it helps

Nothing then.

Standard letter, same sad old bullshit with a non-existant 'Gio' not waiting
for a reply.
--
slumpy
no more