Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Upgrading Card

Upgrading Card

Shawn

Hi,
My brother has an older 2nd comp that has XP Pro on it. It is a Pentium 3
647mhz with 256mb of ram, He's trying to play a game on it and gets a "dxt
texture compression" error. I'm guessing he needs to upgrade his card.
What suggestions do you have for an upgrade for an older system? That's all
the info I got from him over the phone. I don't know what kind of card he
has in there now. The comp is about 5-6 years old. Any help appreciated.
Thanks.

-Shawn

°Mike°

Guessing is not the smartest thing to do.
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 22:47:40 GMT, in
<gqBjc.31222$0u6.5504018@attbi_s03>
Shawn scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Shawn

What did I do wrong?
From http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

"Consult the online Help and the manual" - There's no manual. It's an
old system that he picked up.

"Search the Internet, put key words about the problem into a Search
Engine like DTS-L Fast Search." - I searched Google groups and web.
I type in the error message I'm getting and it says I need a new
card. I'm asking for suggestions.

"If you still can't find the answer, post to a newsgroup" - I did

"How to compose your post" - I did this. Short subject, told you all
the specs that I knew, gave the error message I got, told you what was
done to get the error message, etc.

Just asking for suggestions. Sorry bro if I'm not understanding what I
did wrong. The only thing I don't know is what kind of card he has.
What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card? Are
they the same? How can I tell him to check to see which one he has?

°Mike° wrote:
> Guessing is not the smartest thing to do.
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Toolman Tim

"Shawn" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> What did I do wrong?
> From http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> "Consult the online Help and the manual" - There's no manual. It's an
> old system that he picked up.
>
> "Search the Internet, put key words about the problem into a Search
> Engine like DTS-L Fast Search." - I searched Google groups and web.
> I type in the error message I'm getting and it says I need a new
> card. I'm asking for suggestions.
>
> "If you still can't find the answer, post to a newsgroup" - I did
>
> "How to compose your post" - I did this. Short subject, told you all
> the specs that I knew, gave the error message I got, told you what was
> done to get the error message, etc.
>
> Just asking for suggestions. Sorry bro if I'm not understanding what I
> did wrong. The only thing I don't know is what kind of card he has.
> What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card? Are
> they the same? How can I tell him to check to see which one he has?

First, not to sound crabby, but using com.com for an e-mail address isn't
very nice to com.com - I'm sure they don't want any more junk email sent to
them. (Tip...change the .com to .invalid...there are *no* valid .invalids)

Second, Mike was simply hoping you would be able to add some important info
to the post...like the name of the game that is giving the error message.

My suggestion would be for you to have your brother download Aida32, and
find out what kind of hardware is in his box:
http://www.majorgeeks.com/download181.html Great program - get a copy for
yourself

Then you can find out what kind of video (graphics - same thing) card is in
the computer, what kind of slots are available (PCI, AGP) and go shopping!

°Mike°

What you did wrong was guess. Find out *exactly*
what the problem is, including "word-for-word" error
messages, operating system, hardware details, name
of the software involved, is the software compatible
with such an old system, etc. The more details you
can supply, the better.

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 00:48:11 GMT, in
<fbDjc.43863$GR.6235819@attbi_s01>
Shawn scrawled:

>What did I do wrong?
> From http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
>"Consult the online Help and the manual" - There's no manual. It's an
>old system that he picked up.
>
>"Search the Internet, put key words about the problem into a Search
>Engine like DTS-L Fast Search." - I searched Google groups and web.
> I type in the error message I'm getting and it says I need a new
>card. I'm asking for suggestions.
>
>"If you still can't find the answer, post to a newsgroup" - I did
>
>"How to compose your post" - I did this. Short subject, told you all
>the specs that I knew, gave the error message I got, told you what was
>done to get the error message, etc.
>
>Just asking for suggestions. Sorry bro if I'm not understanding what I
>did wrong. The only thing I don't know is what kind of card he has.
>What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card? Are
>they the same? How can I tell him to check to see which one he has?
>

>°Mike° wrote:
>> Guessing is not the smartest thing to do.
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Basic computer maintenance

Alexander Rogge

> What is the difference between a video card and a graphics card?

A video card can handle uncompressed video and is a dedicated piece of
hardware for video processing and production, something like a DMediaPro
card. Graphics cards are hardware devices for processing visual data
sets and displaying the results. Check out "http://www.3dlabs.com/".

Upgrading a WS-X4232-L3 card euan.webster@gmail.com Cisco 2 04-07-2009 06:05 PM
Upgrading RAM and Graphics Card... Weyoun the Dancing Borg Computer Information 5 01-25-2006 05:01 AM
Video card Upgrading Poppn Hardware 15 07-09-2005 04:25 AM
pc card vs usb network card Alynn Baker Wireless Networking 1 03-10-2005 06:36 PM