Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 3-1/2 disks getting worse ?

3-1/2 disks getting worse ?

JohnF

I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.

Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?

JohnF

one_red_eye

"one_red_eye" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> > through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> > about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> > seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> > plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> > I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> > around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
> >
> > Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
> >
> > JohnF

> The clerk at my office had the same problem, then we started getting a
> different brand. The disks still failed, but they held out longer, through
> more uses.
>
> --
> I saw Elvis. He sat between
> me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

You can buy floppy disks on eBay dirt cheap.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

one_red_eye

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
>
> Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
>
> JohnF

The clerk at my office had the same problem, then we started getting a
different brand. The disks still failed, but they held out longer, through
more uses.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

philo

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
>
> Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
>
> JohnF

I bought some floppies from radio shack about a year ago...
they all failed within 6 months.
I later got some Imation floppies and they are all still good.

there seems to be a difference in manufacturers!

Jerry G.

Either you are using the hell out of the disks, or you have a drive in one
of the machines with a defective head, that is scratching or wearing the
media at too great a rate. I have had defective drives cause your type of
problem.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.

Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?

JohnF

Saul Reiss

3 1/2 drives are becoming obsolete for that reason. From now on try the USB
pen type external drives. I think they are called "FLASH" drives. Much more
space and reliability. For this reason a lot of new laptops don't even come
with floppy drives anymore.
"JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
>
> Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
>
> JohnF

Gary G. Taylor

JohnF wrote:

> I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
>
> Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
>
> JohnF

Um ... why don't you network the machines and chuck the floppies entirely?

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Billh

Do you have a dos driver for one of those pen drives? Never mind a usb
driver for Dos. Or how about a usb port for and old dos based computer?

"Saul Reiss" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> 3 1/2 drives are becoming obsolete for that reason. From now on try the

USB
> pen type external drives. I think they are called "FLASH" drives. Much

more
> space and reliability. For this reason a lot of new laptops don't even

come
> with floppy drives anymore.
> "JohnF" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> > through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> > about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> > seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a
> > plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.
> > I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> > around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.
> >
> > Anybody else having problems with these or am I just lucky?
> >
> > JohnF

Plato

JohnF wrote:

> I transfer files between 4 DOS computers (CNC equipment) and I go
> through about 3 disks a week because they quit reading. I've replaced
> about 1/2 dozen 3-1/2 drives over the last year or so but it just
> seems that the media is more likely the problem. I keep the disks in a

I dont think the drives are getting worse. Heck, even if your power
supply is flakey or putting out 5.3 or more volts on the 5 volt line it
doesn't seem to phark up a floppy drive while it "may" phark up your
hard drive. If you use your floppy drive a lot tho, it may and often
does require a cleaning with one of those kits that have the fluid. Sort
of like cleaning a tape head remember how dirty they'd get if you played
lots of tapes? Heck I use to have to clean my tape heads once/week and
the q-tip would still get half black.

On the other hand, I know for a fact, no matter brand of disk you use
that they surely are WAY less reliable than in the past. Some brands are
better than others but even the best brand today is worse than the worst
brand of yesteryear.

So, are your drives going bad or do they just need a good cleaning? A
dirty drive easily kills any disk. Then, once the grime from a drive
gets on a disk you often transfer it to another drive. Anytime I have a
disk go bad or has a read problem if I need the data I will try to copy
it to the hard drive one last time with another drive or PC but then the
disk gets tossed.

> plastic disk holder not in my pocket and clean the drives frequently.

OK I see you clean the drives. Using the kit with the fluid? You have to
soak the felt in the cleaning disk real good and do a dir about 24 times
to actually clean the drive heads properly.

> I've even gone to the trouble to turn the fans in the power supplys
> around so that the drive isn't used as an air filter anymore.

Interesting as yes your floppy drive does act as a filter. Still, I
wouldnt switch the fans around in the PS. Add a second intake fan at the
bottom front of your PC if you dont have one already as this will reduce
air intake via the floppy drive.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

one_red_eye wrote:

> The clerk at my office had the same problem, then we started getting a
> different brand. The disks still failed, but they held out longer, through
> more uses.

The basic Black disks seem to last longer than the colored disks.