Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > confused about memory

confused about memory

sam unwise

hi,im looking into building a new computer,the first homebuilt one for
myself,and im geting very confused about what type of memory to
get.some motherboards have a list of compatible ram for their
boards,others just say what bus speeds they accept.is their anyway to
find out for sure what motherboard will support what ram if the
motherboard doesnt say so in the online docs?

ICee

sam unwise wrote:
> hi,im looking into building a new computer,the first homebuilt one for
> myself,and im geting very confused about what type of memory to
> get.some motherboards have a list of compatible ram for their
> boards,others just say what bus speeds they accept.is their anyway to
> find out for sure what motherboard will support what ram if the
> motherboard doesnt say so in the online docs?

Sounds like you're confused about the different speeds and types of
memory. Here's a couple good online tutorial about memory and a couple
links regarding building your own system.

http://www.corsairmicro.com/memory_b...707/index.html
http://www.pcmech.com/byopc/
http://www.buildeasypc.com/index.htm

TT

sam unwise wrote:

> hi,im looking into building a new computer,the first homebuilt one for
> myself,and im geting very confused about what type of memory to
> get.some motherboards have a list of compatible ram for their
> boards,others just say what bus speeds they accept.is their anyway to
> find out for sure what motherboard will support what ram if the
> motherboard doesnt say so in the online docs?

I always recommend reading up thouroughly before you start buliding
and have a good reference book handy-Upgrading and Repairing PC's by
Scott Mueller is a great tool but there are others too...