Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Zone Alarm opinion

Zone Alarm opinion

Poster

I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro worth
the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Poster wrote:

> I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro worth
> the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

Why not try the 15 day trial of Pro and see if it hits the spot? The
number of updates that they seem to be issuing these days, each giving
you a new 15 day trial, you may not need to buy it anyhow

Alternatively, you could list the extra features of Pro, one by one,
and ask the questions, "Do I already have something else that does
that?" and "What me worry?"

Ionizer

"Poster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro

worth
> the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

It depends what features of the Pro version you would make use of. I'm
running the Pro version but make very little use of its extra features.

Cache Cleaner: I do use this periodically.
Password Protection: My wife and I are the only ones using this computer so
I do not use this feature.
Advanced Email Protection: I rely on my Norton AV to scan incoming messages
so I do not use this feature.
Web filtering: I don't want to censor my access to the internet so I do not
use this feature.
Pop-up Blocking: I use this on rare occasion when I know I'm heading into
nefarious waters. Otherwise, I don't use it- it interferes with access to
Hotmail, etc.
Identity Data Protection: I don't use this feature either. I'm not in the
habit of spreading personal security numbers wherever I go, and don't have
any kids to worry about doing so.

It's an individual decision- if you will make use of the additional features
of the Pro version, then it is worth the money. In my case, as it turns
out, it was not.

Regards,
Ian.

trout

Poster wrote:

> I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA
> Pro worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

What does it *not* do, that you want it to do?
Look at their comparison charts, and decide if there are features that
you think are worth paying for:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y21F21128

Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to use
it for.
--
"Or, short answer: 'probably not'."

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=

trout wrote:

> Poster wrote:
>

>>I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA
>>Pro worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

> What does it *not* do, that you want it to do?
> Look at their comparison charts, and decide if there are features that
> you think are worth paying for:
> http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y21F21128
>
> Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
> other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
> way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to use
> it for.

So the rumour persists, you're cheap.

trout

Rgr wrote:

> trout wrote:

<snip>

>> Frankly; I believe that anything vaguely useful can be done with
>> other free programs. Better to decide what you want to do, and find a
>> way to do it; than buy a program and try to figure what you want to
>> use it for.

> So the rumour persists, you're cheap.

I'll tell you, if you give me a dollar.
--
"Make it $6, and I'll tell you how to become fabulously wealthy. And
popular. And not so funny-looking."

Bebop & Rocksteady

> I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro
> worth the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

As every one else has said, depends if you would use or need the advanced
features

Cache Cleaner: I do this manually

Password Protection: Don't need

Advanced Email Protection: I use AVast and Pegasus Mail don't have to worry
about email viruses and VBS scripts etc...

Web filtering/Pop-up Blocking: I use Proxomitron does both and more...

Identity Data Protection: I don't have that type of data on my pc, and
never will so I don't need it.

Visit it ZonLabs site, go through the advance features and see if you need
them

FORT Freeware: http://freeware.quantum.2ya.com

http://quantum.2ya.com/email.htm

The future is our past and our past is our future.

Truth Monopoly

"Poster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I currently use the free issue of Zone Alarm. Is the upgrade to ZA Pro

worth
> the expense? Will I gain any usefulness?

The only useful addition is being able to write expert firewall rules. The
other options are essentially useless and can be done better by other
applications or scripting.

John

why pay for zone alarm pro when you can get ' sygate ' for free , which is
the best firewall you can get or pay 40 bucks for sygate pro if you really
need a pro version of a firewall

zone alarm is a joke if you ask me