Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Q. Quick way to place an internet link on my desktop?

Q. Quick way to place an internet link on my desktop?

Jim Jones

Hi,

What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
directly to that link.

I know it can be done, just forget how.

Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,

Thanks for any help,
Jim

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Jim Jones
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> Hi,
>
> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
> can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
> directly to that link.
>
> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>
> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
> like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

File/Send To/Desktop (create shortcut).
--
slumpy
no more

Mcploppy

Have a wee look here for instructions http://tinyurl.com/2azqd

--
McPloppy

{ Remove both MyShoes to email me }
{ Homepage: http://tinyurl.com/bbel }
{ Local Radio: http://tinyurl.com/j1vi }
{ My Alternative Site: http://tinyurl.com/rynb }

trout

Jim Jones wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
> can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
> directly to that link.
>
> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>
> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
> like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

Right-click Desktop. New; Shortcut; enter address as 'Command Line';
name it, and you're done.
--
"Pretty darn quick."

Unk

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:00:36 GMT, Jim Jones <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
>can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
>directly to that link.
>
>I know it can be done, just forget how.
>
>Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
>it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
>I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
>like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>
>Thanks for any help,
>Jim

Right-click a blank area in the web page, select "Creare Shortcut"
That will place a shortcut on the Desktop.

If the right-click has been disabled, click "Favorites", "Add to
Favorites....", then copy the shortcut from the Favorite list and paste it
to the Desktop.

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel Unk decided it
was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:00:36 GMT, Jim Jones
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that
>> I can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it
>> dial up directly to that link.
>>
>> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>>
>> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
>> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
>> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to
>> look like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Jim

> Right-click a blank area in the web page, select "Creare Shortcut"
> That will place a shortcut on the Desktop.
>
> If the right-click has been disabled, click "Favorites", "Add to
> Favorites....", then copy the shortcut from the Favorite list and
> paste it to the Desktop.

Quicker still :

Alt-F / E / S
--
slumpy
no more

Pat

Simply add your link to your "favorites" folder.Go to the folder & right
click on the desired link.Select "send to" then click "desktop as a
shortcut"
"Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
> can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
> directly to that link.
>
> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>
> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
> like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

Toolman Tim

"Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
> can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
> directly to that link.
>
> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>
> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
> like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>
> Thanks for any help,
> Jim

Okay - here's what I do...using IE. You're at the web site, right? You want
to get right back there quick, right? Click on the icon in the address line
(in front of the http and drag it to the desktop. Ta-da!

Toolman

Jim Jones

Thank you,

All have been fine suggestions.
I should have known how simple it was.

I've been using it, by creating a folder on my desktop and placing the
links in there.

One more trivial thing:

I'd like to create my own icon for the links to certain pages.
Anyone know how I can do that, like I see some sites do ?

Thanks,
Jim

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 19:32:03 -0700, "Toolman Tim"
<tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote:

>"Jim Jones" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi,
>>
>> What's a quick way to place an internet link onto my desktop so that I
>> can just click on it, when I boot into my windows, and have it dial up
>> directly to that link.
>>
>> I know it can be done, just forget how.
>>
>> Whenever I try to save the currently displayed page with "Save As",
>> it puts it somewhere on the C: drive, which doesn't work.
>> I've no idea why it does that, but more importantly, I want it to look
>> like http://www . . . . . . and NOT c:\desktop,
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>> Jim

>Okay - here's what I do...using IE. You're at the web site, right? You want
>to get right back there quick, right? Click on the icon in the address line
>(in front of the http and drag it to the desktop. Ta-da!
>
>Toolman

@}-}-------Rosee

MicroAngelo will help you create icons. It's not free, but a damn
fine program for the money.....or I could upload my 12MB icon file
somewhere. I'm sure there would be one in that bunch somewhere you
might like....;oD Just say where....;o)

Jim Jones <(E-Mail Removed)> chiseled in stone, the
following words news:(E-Mail Removed):

--
@}-}--}------Rosee http://www.southerncaucus.org/hk18.htm

Quick Question Quick Answer JKop C++ 11 05-24-2004 09:46 PM
Quick Restore for a Compaq not so quick! Croos Bustamunky Computer Support 2 05-15-2004 04:17 AM
PanasonicBQ390 "quick" charger - How quick? Ol' Bab Digital Photography 1 01-17-2004 06:54 AM

Advertisments