Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hearing The Phone Ring When Online

Hearing The Phone Ring When Online

David

Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
rollover or answering machine.

Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
how to access it.

TIA

David

one_red_eye

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
> rollover or answering machine.
>

> Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
> how to access it.
>
> TIA
>
> David

My old ISP cut off the modem and rang through whenever there was an incoming
call. I spose that's too much to ask of ISP's nowadays.
(Now that I think about it, they also were the phone company.)

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Debbi

Subscribe to caller waiting, and when it sends the second caller signal,
your modem will cut you off.

Debbie

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
> rollover or answering machine.
>

> Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
> how to access it.
>

> TIA
>

> David

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
>receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
>rollover or answering machine.

My phone always rings when I'm online.... ****ing sales people...

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> scribbled:
>
>> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
>> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
>> rollover or answering machine.

> My phone always rings when I'm online.... ****ing sales people...

Notice they never try to sell you anything you really want ?

Lately they have tried changing tack, and go for:

"Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
"No"
"Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property, could I
have /your/ name ?"
"No."
"Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to discuss home
improvements/a personal loan ?"
"No."
"Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
"Both."
"Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
"No."
"I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
"Yes."
"Okay, have a good day."
"Bubbeye".
--
slumpy
no more

-= Hawk =-

On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 18:56:55 +0100, "slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
>decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
>
>> On Mon, 26 Apr 2004 08:12:36 -0500, "David" <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> scribbled:
>>
>>> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
>>> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
>>> rollover or answering machine.

>> My phone always rings when I'm online.... ****ing sales people...

>Notice they never try to sell you anything you really want ?
>
>Lately they have tried changing tack, and go for:
>
>"Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
>"No"
>"Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property, could I
>have /your/ name ?"
>"No."
>"Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to discuss home
>improvements/a personal loan ?"
>"No."
>"Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
>"Both."
>"Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
>"No."
>"I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
>"Yes."
>"Okay, have a good day."
>"Bubbeye".

I enjoy ****ing with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is that
good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's going to be
enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?" She hung up on
me...

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel -= Hawk =-
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

>> "Hello is that Mr Scraggins ?"
>> "No"
>> "Aaaah, we have Mr Scraggins down as the owner of your property,
>> could I have /your/ name ?"
>> "No."
>> "Ooookay...would you be free /just for a couple of minutes/ to
>> discuss home improvements/a personal loan ?"
>> "No."
>> "Is that no, you are not free, or no you are not interested ?"
>> "Both."
>> "Okay, not even if you could make serious savings..."
>> "No."
>> "I'm wasting my time here, aren't I ?"
>> "Yes."
>> "Okay, have a good day."
>> "Bubbeye".

> I enjoy ****ing with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
> I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
> morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
> really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
> 30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
> entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
> film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
> recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
> estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
> improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is
> that good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's
> going to be enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?"
> She hung up on me...

I have tried the trick of turning the tables on them and trying to sell
/them/ something, but my mate is much better at it than me.

He actually managed to supply a kitchen supply company with cheaper worktops
after they cold-called /him/ at home one night. And he never bought a
kitchen off them.
--
slumpy
no more

Hamman

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
> rollover or answering machine.
>

> Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
> how to access it.

Yes, its called ADSL

hamman

Mary

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a free service where I can simply hear the phone ring when
> receiving an incoming call when I am online. I don't want any kind of
> rollover or answering machine.
>

> Callwave seems to have a service like this, but I was unable to figure out
> how to access it.
>
> TIA
>

> David

If you are using WinXP, you can configure your modem with 'Modem on Hold',
which will let you have your Internet Connection and allow you to receive a
short phone call without disconnecting you from the internet.
Hope this helps.
--
Mary

Mary

"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6joti$ciu5s$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
<snip>

> > I enjoy ****ing with the phone sales people (door to door's too).
> > I had one roofing/general contractor place call me EARLY one
> > morning so I said "Sure! We need a new roof. Can you get those
> > really nice shingles that look just like slate?" And we were off.
> > 30 minutes or so later we'd added copper gutters, repainting the
> > entire house and driveway, hurricane shutters AND safety glass
> > film, redoing the cool-decking around the pool and patio, re-screening
> > recoat the pool walls in custom black, the screen enclosure.... rough
> > estimate I'd agreed to something like $35,000 - $45,000 in repairs and
> > improvements. So then she says "We can start the work next week, is
> > that good for you?" And I hit her with "Well, do you think that's
> > going to be enough time to clear a check from a Venezuelan bank?"
> > She hung up on me...

> I have tried the trick of turning the tables on them and trying to sell
> /them/ something, but my mate is much better at it than me.
>
> He actually managed to supply a kitchen supply company with cheaper

worktops
> after they cold-called /him/ at home one night. And he never bought a
> kitchen off them.
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just me
> (well what the **** did you expect ?)

I actually tried something similar. A vaccum sales person called me (I
ignored the call with the help of Caller ID). Shortly after, I hit 'call
back' and asked the sap if she'd like to buy my bird from me. I laughed my
ass off so hard that I had to hang up (after explaining to her why I was
calling). She was SO confused to why I was calling her. It was hilarious.
--
Mary