Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > unable to delete file

unable to delete file

eugene

I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
is running in another programme or by another user and to try again. Anybody
able to help please,
Eugene

philo

eugene wrote:
> I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
> is running in another programme or by another user and to try again. Anybody
> able to help please,
> Eugene

reboot your machine and try to delete it...
if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

Aunt Buffy

1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
(disconnect from internet first).
Try deleting it now.

If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> eugene wrote:
> > I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that

it
> > is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

Anybody
> > able to help please,
> > Eugene
> >

> reboot your machine and try to delete it...
> if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

eugene

When I try ctrl/alt/del, no programmes appear to be running. How do I start
up in safe mode again?
"Aunt Buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> 1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
> (disconnect from internet first).
> Try deleting it now.
>
> If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.
>
> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > eugene wrote:
> > > I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told

that
> it
> > > is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

> Anybody
> > > able to help please,
> > > Eugene
> > >

> > reboot your machine and try to delete it...
> > if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> When I try ctrl/alt/del, no programmes appear to be running. How do I
> start up in safe mode again?
> "Aunt Buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> 1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
>> (disconnect from internet first).
>> Try deleting it now.
>>
>> If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.
>>
>> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>>

>>> reboot your machine and try to delete it...
>>> if you are running win9x...you can delete it from dos

You read the thread posted 24 minutes ago.
--
slumpy
no more

eugene

Tried Safe Mode but get the same response. Unable to delete because another
person is using the programme? There is nothing else running on my PC! Any
more suggestions? In properties it is simply listed as an AVI Video
Eugene
"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6ivb1$br91o$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
> it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
>
> > When I try ctrl/alt/del, no programmes appear to be running. How do I
> > start up in safe mode again?
> > "Aunt Buffy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> 1. Control Alt Delete until all programs are no longer running
> >> (disconnect from internet first).
> >> Try deleting it now.
> >>
> >> If that fails, try rebooting in safe mode and then try to delete it.
> >>
> >> "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> You read the thread posted 24 minutes ago.
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just me
> (well what the **** did you expect ?)

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> Tried Safe Mode but get the same response. Unable to delete because
> another person is using the programme? There is nothing else running
> on my PC! Any more suggestions? In properties it is simply listed as
> an AVI Video Eugene

See if you can change its name in Safe Mode.

Then delete.
--
slumpy
no more

one_red_eye

"eugene" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6iu9b$15q$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have an AVI file which I cannot delete! When I try to, I am told that it
> is running in another programme or by another user and to try again.

Anybody
> able to help please,
> Eugene

It's a virus, you will have to reformat.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

eugene

Tried the name change in safe but still the same response
"slumpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c6j0oq$cbb43$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> ...and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
> it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:
>
> > Tried Safe Mode but get the same response. Unable to delete because
> > another person is using the programme? There is nothing else running
> > on my PC! Any more suggestions? In properties it is simply listed as
> > an AVI Video Eugene

> See if you can change its name in Safe Mode.
>
> Then delete.
> --
> slumpy
> no more
> no less
> just me
> (well what the **** did you expect ?)

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel eugene decided
it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> Tried the name change in safe but still the same response

You /do/ have AV software ?

You /have/ tried anti-spyware software ?
--
slumpy
no more