Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Question Regarding Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4, Please

Question Regarding Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4, Please

Robert11

Hello:

Running XP.

Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me open
it up until I install a MS service pack.

Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,

Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
why I might need it ?

Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.

Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?

Much thanks,
Bob

Boomer

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:Oa2dnc1uWumcbBfdRVn-

> Hello:
>
> Running XP.
>
> Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
> being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me open
> it up until I install a MS service pack.
>
> Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,
>
> Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
> why I might need it ?
>
> Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.
>
> Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

Here's a quick search from Google.com

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-
8&q=Microsoft+Jet+4.0+Service+Pack+4&btnG=Google+S earch

Your shorter link is: http://makeashorterlink.com/?S18F22D18

HTH

one_red_eye

"Robert11" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello:
>
> Running XP.
>
> Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
> being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me open
> it up until I install a MS service pack.
>
> Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,
>
> Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
> why I might need it ?
>
> Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.
>
> Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?
>
> Much thanks,
> Bob

http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
Download Microsoft Jet 4.0. It's free.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Rick Merrill

Robert11 wrote:

> Hello:
>
> Running XP.
>
> Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
> being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me open
> it up until I install a MS service pack.
>
> Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,
>
> Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
> why I might need it ?
>
> Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.
>
> Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?

Run Start|Help&Support|"Windows Update"| scan and
make sure you have done the critical updates. Then from the
other updates, select MS Jet 4 update. I am not aware of
any current 'gotchas' and check for updates every 3 mos. - RM

Toolman Tim

"Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Robert11 wrote:
>
> > Hello:
> >
> > Running XP.
> >
> > Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
> > being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me open
> > it up until I install a MS service pack.
> >
> > Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,
> >
> > Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
> > why I might need it ?
> >
> > Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.
> >
> > Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?

> Run Start|Help&Support|"Windows Update"| scan and
> make sure you have done the critical updates. Then from the
> other updates, select MS Jet 4 update. I am not aware of
> any current 'gotchas' and check for updates every 3 mos. - RM

3 months? A hell of a lot of security issues arise each week...three months
could cause a catastophic disaster.

Boomer

"Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Robert11 wrote:
>>
>> > Hello:
>> >
>> > Running XP.
>> >
>> > Am getting an error message upon trying to open up a database
>> > being used on an on-line continuing ed course. Won't let me
>> > open it up until I install a MS service pack.
>> >
>> > Says I need: Microsoft Jet 4.0, or Service Pack 4,
>> >
>> > Might someone please explain for me exactly what this is, and
>> > why I might need it ?
>> >
>> > Am always a bit leery about downloading MS Service Packs.
>> >
>> > Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?

>> Run Start|Help&Support|"Windows Update"| scan and
>> make sure you have done the critical updates. Then from the
>> other updates, select MS Jet 4 update. I am not aware of
>> any current 'gotchas' and check for updates every 3 mos. - RM
>>

> 3 months? A hell of a lot of security issues arise each
> week...three months could cause a catastophic disaster.

I don't know what year it was that I last checked or downloaded any MS
updates.

Toolman Tim

news:408b1393$0$71130$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "Toolman Tim" <tmayer541_at_charter.invalid> wrote in
> news:(E-Mail Removed):
>

> > "Rick Merrill" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> Run Start|Help&Support|"Windows Update"| scan and
> >> make sure you have done the critical updates. Then from the
> >> other updates, select MS Jet 4 update. I am not aware of
> >> any current 'gotchas' and check for updates every 3 mos. - RM
> >>

> > 3 months? A hell of a lot of security issues arise each
> > week...three months could cause a catastophic disaster.

> I don't know what year it was that I last checked or downloaded any MS
> updates.

Okay....go play with your Mac ;o) and ignore us Windows misfits...heh heh...

Plato

Robert11 wrote:

> Any caveats or gotchas about doing the download ?

When upgrading your MS OS make sure no background apps are running. That
is the main cause of "upgrade" problems.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Blinky the Shark

Might want to check in at comp.databases.ms-access.