Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Need Help With DSL And Win98SE

Need Help With DSL And Win98SE

Pete Holland Jr.

Hey, everybody!

My dad is having problems with his computer, I'm thoroughly
stumped, so I'm coming to you for aid.

My dad recently got DSL and I, lucky duck, got to hook it
up. The computer in question is a custom job that is about
five years old. It runs Win98SE, has 256M of memory, and a
900Mhz CPU. Because of the time, it did not have a
broadband adaptor. With DSL, I had to pick one up for him.

Now the computer is screwed up something fierce. I put in
the card and loaded the drivers, so far so good. But now,
it wants the Win98SE disc to copy some files. The box will
not search the disc. It gives me options to look in the C
drives and the basic F drive, but nothing else (since this
has happened, the E drive, the CD burner, has vanished from
Explorer). Also, when the computer starts up, while it is
still in real mode (verifying DMI data pool and so on), it
says the Startup.int is missing some files:

vnetsup.vxd
vredir.vxd
dfs.vxd

After skipping them, the computer continues to boot. Before
the Windows desktop appears, a box appears, with the header
"Windows Networking" and saying it can't find msnp32.dll.
Now, the box asking for the Win98SE disc haven't appeared again.

1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?

2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
under the control panel restart the installation process?

3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.

God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
laptop and it spotted it right away.

Dobre utka,
Pete Holland Jr.

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

> 1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
> the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
>
> 2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
> under the control panel restart the installation process?
>
> 3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
> files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
> cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
> later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
>
> God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
> laptop and it spotted it right away.
>
> Dobre utka,
> Pete Holland Jr.

U can copy the cab files from the 98 disc then browse to where you copyed
them to.
They may already be on your pc. check for a cab folder in c:\windows or
c:\windows\system c:\windows\system32 or use find files and folders.
remove the entry in the device manager, restart and the installation will
start again.

Gaz

Unk

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 02:17:49 -0500, "Pete Holland Jr." <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hey, everybody!
>
>My dad is having problems with his computer, I'm thoroughly
>stumped, so I'm coming to you for aid.
>
>My dad recently got DSL and I, lucky duck, got to hook it
>up. The computer in question is a custom job that is about
>five years old. It runs Win98SE, has 256M of memory, and a
>900Mhz CPU. Because of the time, it did not have a
>broadband adaptor. With DSL, I had to pick one up for him.
>
>Now the computer is screwed up something fierce. I put in
>the card and loaded the drivers, so far so good. But now,
>it wants the Win98SE disc to copy some files. The box will
>not search the disc. It gives me options to look in the C
>drives and the basic F drive, but nothing else (since this
>has happened, the E drive, the CD burner, has vanished from
>Explorer). Also, when the computer starts up, while it is
>still in real mode (verifying DMI data pool and so on), it
>says the Startup.int is missing some files:
>
>vnetsup.vxd
>vredir.vxd
>dfs.vxd
>
>After skipping them, the computer continues to boot. Before
>the Windows desktop appears, a box appears, with the header
>"Windows Networking" and saying it can't find msnp32.dll.
>Now, the box asking for the Win98SE disc haven't appeared again.
>
>1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
>the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
>
>2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
>under the control panel restart the installation process?
>
>3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
>files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
>cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
>later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
>
>God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
>laptop and it spotted it right away.
>
>Dobre utka,
>Pete Holland Jr.

Copy the "Win98" folder from the Windows 98 CD to the hard drive.
Now click Start, Settings, Control Panel, System, "Hardware" tab, "Device
Manager" button.
Look for the NIC you just installed and delete it from the list.
Shut down and restart Windows.
Ignore the error messages during startup, and when it finds the NIC again,
reinstall the drivers for it. Now when it asks for the Win98 CD, point it
to the "C:\Win98" folder you copied off the CD.
That should repair all your errors.

Toolman Tim

"Gareth not NLL or anybody else." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c680sn$79jc4$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > 1) Is there a way to copy these missing files directly off
> > the Win98SE disc using Explorer and, if so, where do I put them?
> >
> > 2) Will simply removing the PCI card on the System menu
> > under the control panel restart the installation process?
> >
> > 3) How do I get Windows to look elsewhere on the CD for the
> > files it needs, or where do I find them? I simply clicked
> > cancel instead of skip file in hopes that I could come back
> > later. The lack of boxes now is confusing.
> >
> > God, Linux has spoiled me. I plugged the modem into my
> > laptop and it spotted it right away.
> >
> > Dobre utka,
> > Pete Holland Jr.
> >

> U can copy the cab files from the 98 disc then browse to where you copyed
> them to.
> They may already be on your pc. check for a cab folder in c:\windows or
> c:\windows\system c:\windows\system32 or use find files and folders.
> remove the entry in the device manager, restart and the installation will
> start again.
>
> Gaz

The "default" OEM location for windows 98 CAB files was
c:\windows\options\cabs - I've always put them there too just to be
consistent.

Toolman