Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Sound Recorder and Audio CD's

Windows Sound Recorder and Audio CD's

Not Bill Gates

I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30 sec or
shorter length.

My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.

The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use my
computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the speakers.

Is there another way to record the audio other than the microphone, which
may pick up other background noises?

Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?

Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the desktop
speakers.

Thanks!!

David Wood

> I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30 sec or
> shorter length.
>
> My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.
>
> The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use my
> computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the speakers.
>
> Is there another way to record the audio other than the microphone, which
> may pick up other background noises?
>
> Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?
>
> Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the desktop
> speakers.

Use a ripper such as http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/

CJ

Hi,
what sotware came with your soundcard? I have Creative recorder that
came with my Soundblaster and on that if you play the CD with windows
media player you can select the source as "What you hear" and then
record the CD clip that way.

CJ

"Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30 sec

or
> shorter length.
>
> My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.
>
> The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use my
> computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the

speakers.

> Is there another way to record the audio other than the microphone,

which
> may pick up other background noises?
>
> Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?
>
> Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the

desktop
> speakers.
>
> Thanks!!

°Mike°

Don't use Windows' sound recorder.

Audacity
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

CDex
http://www.cdex.n3.net/

GoldWave
http://www.goldwave.com/

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:50:28 GMT, in
<USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed)>
Not Bill Gates scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Not Bill Gates

Thanks to all for the info.

Is there any way to convert .wma to .wav??

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Don't use Windows' sound recorder.
>
> Audacity
> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>
> CDex
> http://www.cdex.n3.net/
>
> GoldWave
> http://www.goldwave.com/
>

> On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 14:50:28 GMT, in
> <USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Not Bill Gates scrawled:
>
> >I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30 sec or
> >shorter length.
> >
> >My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.
> >
> >The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use my
> >computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the

speakers.

> >Is there another way to record the audio other than the microphone, which
> >may pick up other background noises?
> >
> >Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?
> >
> >Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the desktop
> >speakers.
> >
> >Thanks!!
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Not Bill Gates

I have the same setup

I can't figure out the "what you hear"

Where is that menu??

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c66766$rb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> what sotware came with your soundcard? I have Creative recorder that
> came with my Soundblaster and on that if you play the CD with windows
> media player you can select the source as "What you hear" and then
> record the CD clip that way.
>
> CJ
>

> "Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30 sec

> or
> > shorter length.
> >
> > My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.
> >
> > The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use my
> > computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the

> speakers.
> >
> > Is there another way to record the audio other than the microphone,

> which
> > may pick up other background noises?
> >
> > Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?
> >
> > Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the

> desktop
> > speakers.
> >
> > Thanks!!

CJ

Hi,
open up Creative Recorder then in the top left hand corner is a down
arrow. Click on this to select source, one choice is What You Hear.

I tried it last night and it does exactly what you want.

CJ

"Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3sShc.10783$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> I have the same setup
>
> I can't figure out the "what you hear"
>
> Where is that menu??
>

> "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c66766$rb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi,
> > what sotware came with your soundcard? I have Creative recorder that
> > came with my Soundblaster and on that if you play the CD with

windows
> > media player you can select the source as "What you hear" and then
> > record the CD clip that way.
> >
> > CJ
> >

> > "Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> > > I wish to use Windows Sound Recorder to make some .wav files of 30

sec
> > or
> > > shorter length.
> > >
> > > My source will be various audio cd's in my PC's cd drive.
> > >
> > > The only way I can figure out how to capture the sound is to use

my
> > > computers microphone and record the music as it comes out of the

> > speakers.
> > >
> > > Is there another way to record the audio other than the

microphone,
> > which
> > > may pick up other background noises?
> > >
> > > Do I have to pactch in other cables on the back of the PC?
> > >
> > > Currently I only have to cables, one for the mike and one for the

> > desktop
> > > speakers.
> > >
> > > Thanks!!

°Mike°

This is off the top of my head, but try:

http://www.dbpoweramp.com/
http://www.blazemp.com/
http://www.acoustica.com/

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:31:04 GMT, in
<crShc.10782$(E-Mail Removed)>
Not Bill Gates scrawled:

>Thanks to all for the info.
>
>Is there any way to convert .wma to .wav??

>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Don't use Windows' sound recorder.
>>
>> Audacity
>> http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
>>
>> CDex
>> http://www.cdex.n3.net/

<snip>

--
Basic computer maintenance

Not Bill Gates

Thanks for the help.

My PC crashed about 2 weeks ago, and everything has been a mess since (I had
to manually reload everything)

My sound and audio properties show Creative Soundblaster PCI as default
device, however in Program Files I show no software for Creative or
Soundblaster.

I do have two cd's labeled Sound Blaster PCI 128 software and Soundblaster
16 software.

I have no idea where these came from.

I'm sure one of these came with the PC (Systemax)

I wonder why Windows Media Player won't write or save anything directly to
the hard drive.

I was thinking of downloading Music Match.

"CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c692b4$ssc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
> open up Creative Recorder then in the top left hand corner is a down
> arrow. Click on this to select source, one choice is What You Hear.
>
> I tried it last night and it does exactly what you want.
>
> CJ
>

> "Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:3sShc.10783$(E-Mail Removed) om...
> > I have the same setup
> >
> > I can't figure out the "what you hear"
> >
> > Where is that menu??
> >

> > "CJ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c66766$rb0$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Hi,
> > > what sotware came with your soundcard? I have Creative recorder that
> > > came with my Soundblaster and on that if you play the CD with

> windows
> > > media player you can select the source as "What you hear" and then
> > > record the CD clip that way.
> > >
> > > CJ
> > >

> > > "Not Bill Gates" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:USvhc.103$(E-Mail Removed).. .

> sec
> > > or

> my
> > > speakers.

> microphone,
> > > which

> > > desktop

ProfGene

I always take "musicmatch" off of my computer as I find it annoying always
prompting you to upgrade. The newest version of Windows Media player can do
most of what it can do. Also I only use "Real" player when there is no way
to avoid it as it is constantly contacting its website from your computer.
For saving sound to the hdd I use Cooledit Pro but there are free progams
like Goldwave where you can edit sound and save it. Windows Media player is
not an editing program therefore it only saves playlists.
news:1%Whc.719$(E-Mail Removed). ..