Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq recovery partition

Compaq recovery partition

Martik

I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with XP.

I understand there is a recovery partition on the HD.
Is there any reason I cannot delete this and use for other data, assuming I
will never go back to ME?

Thanks

PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx 4-5 years
old)

Boomer

"Martik" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with
> XP.
>
> I understand there is a recovery partition on the HD.
> Is there any reason I cannot delete this and use for other data,
> assuming I will never go back to ME?
>
> Thanks
>
> PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx
> 4-5 years old)

If you haven't already, you might want to ask over at this news group
also. alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq

TT

Martik wrote:
> I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with XP.
>
> I understand there is a recovery partition on the HD.
> Is there any reason I cannot delete this and use for other data, assuming I
> will never go back to ME?
>
> Thanks
>
> PS: Are there any known issues installing XP on a Compaq (approx 4-5 years
> old)

The partition can be gotten rid of with any new installation-especially
on a machine well out of it's warranty and free support period
That information just makes it easier for the original install recovery.
XP will install on just about anything with at least 256mb of
RAM-there are lower limits on processor speed but I can't think of what
they are right now. XP takes at least 3-4 gb of hd space-you have to
figure that in when you install...

Plato

Martik wrote:

> I have a Compaq PC with ME installed and want to replace it with XP.

You take a risk in assuming that the XP supports your hardware. May, or
may not.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/