Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Importing mail folders into OE6

Importing mail folders into OE6

Paul Reeve

Hi all

Having just hadd my HDD blow up, I have managed to recover all my *.dbx
files from the old identities folder, but cannot get anything to import, it
just says either there are no files there or they are in use by another
program/OE. I have also copied them into the new identity folder created
when I reinstalled windows, I was then able to "see" the old inbox folder,
but nothing else.

I am running XP pro and IE6

Any ideas? TIA

Paul
replace the dot with a dot if needed

Speck Tater

"Paul Reeve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:7%ghc.32395$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> Hi all
>
> Having just hadd my HDD blow up, I have managed to recover all my *.dbx
> files from the old identities folder, but cannot get anything to import,

it
> just says either there are no files there or they are in use by another
> program/OE. I have also copied them into the new identity folder created
> when I reinstalled windows, I was then able to "see" the old inbox folder,
> but nothing else.
>
> I am running XP pro and IE6
>
> Any ideas? TIA
>
> Paul
> replace the dot with a dot if needed

Copy all your DBX files and store them in a new directory (Ex: c:\oldmail).
When you do the import, you have to point to this new directory. If you use
the default directory (Ex: c:\documents and settings....) you will have a
conflict error. As well, you have to make sure you have the file
"Folders.DBX" in your directory when you're importing. Good luck.

Toolman Tim

"Speck Tater" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:2Ihhc.165009$(E-Mail Removed) et.cable.rogers.com...

> "Paul Reeve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:7%ghc.32395$(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > Hi all
> >
> > Having just hadd my HDD blow up, I have managed to recover all my *.dbx
> > files from the old identities folder, but cannot get anything to import,

> it
> > just says either there are no files there or they are in use by another
> > program/OE. I have also copied them into the new identity folder created
> > when I reinstalled windows, I was then able to "see" the old inbox

folder,
> > but nothing else.
> >
> > I am running XP pro and IE6
> >
> > Any ideas? TIA
> >
> > Paul
> > replace the dot with a dot if needed
> >

> Copy all your DBX files and store them in a new directory (Ex:

c:\oldmail).
> When you do the import, you have to point to this new directory. If you

use
> the default directory (Ex: c:\documents and settings....) you will have a
> conflict error. As well, you have to make sure you have the file
> "Folders.DBX" in your directory when you're importing. Good luck.

Just in case you need a "Step x Step" this is a little more detail for you:

Do not copy the backup files into the current OE message store or the import
will fail. If you saved your backup on a CD or a networked drive, you will
need to copy the backup to your hard disk and verify that none of the *.dbx
files are marked as "read only", or the import will fail.

To restore your mail folders, open OE and click File| Import|
Messages|Microsoft Outlook Express 6|Import mail from an OE6 store directory
Click "okay" then browse to the folder containing your old messages. Select
the folders you want to import, and it should bring them in to your current
folders.

Paul Reeve

Thanks guys, I think it was that I hadn't copie dthe folders.dbx over

Paul