Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Windows Desktop

Windows Desktop

Neil

Hi guys,

I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.

All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
daily.

Any ideas? TIA

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Neil wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
> display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
> simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
>
> All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
> daily.
>
> Any ideas? TIA

Search google with "tilde desktop icon"

slumpy

....and with no more than a cursory glance at the dead camel PalindrÔ~╗me
decided it was time to put the World to rights with this little gem:

> Neil wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently
>> started to display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file
>> association and is simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it
>> seems to be coming back.
>>
>> All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is
>> updated daily.
>>
>> Any ideas? TIA
>>

> Search google with "tilde desktop icon"

They do nice Basmati rice too.
--
slumpy
no more

░Mike░

If you have installed the cumulative update for OE, each time
a contact is added to your address book, a file named "~" is
created on your desktop when you exit OE or your address book.
It is just a COPY of your Windows Address Book (*.wab).

It is caused by the update for OE Q331923 (now Q330994).
Microsoft are supposedly working on a fix.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...94/default.asp
How to uninstall
To remove the download, complete the following steps:

On the Start menu, point to Settings and then click Control
Panel. (In Windows XP, click Start and then click Control
Panel.)
Double-click Add/Remove Programs.
In the list of currently installed programs, select Q330994
and then click Remove or Add/Remove. If a dialog box appears,
follow the instructions to remove the program.
Click Yes or OK to confirm that you want to remove the program.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:08:29 +0100, in
<c63leg$sj$(E-Mail Removed)>
Neil scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unk

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 18:08:29 +0100, "Neil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi guys,
>
>I have noticed that a few of our work computers have recently started to
>display an icon on the windows desktop that has no file association and is
>simply named ' ~ ' . I have deleted it but it seems to be coming back.
>
>All the computers are running McAfee Anti-Virus software which is updated
>daily.
>
>Any ideas? TIA

It's a copy of your address book. It is caused by the April 2003
cumulative update (Q330994) for Outlook Express.
See: http://www.pchell.com/support/tildefile.shtml

Apparently Microsoft is aware of the problem and is working on a fix.
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=330994