Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Win2000 Machine locks up after 10-12 minutes...

Win2000 Machine locks up after 10-12 minutes...

Carlos

I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work every
10 or 12 minutes or so.
Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good and
the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it still works
fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl... when I
hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%

I disabled just about everything in windows startup and used "Startup
Control Panel 2.8" by Mike Lin to disable just about everything.

I took out the hard drive and connected it to mine and did a Virus check and
it checked out ok...

I installed 2 Anti-Spyware programs and still the same thing.
I uninstalled almost every single program available in the add/remove...

I'm stumped...
It's a Chaintech mother board with a P4 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, Maxtor Hard Drive
(which all seem to be good)... This person doesn't want to reinstall the
OS and is willing to wait some time to get it going right... any help would
be greatly appreciated... thanks

Carlos

Isaac

"Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:Esahc.4043$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com:

> I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work
> every 10 or 12 minutes or so.
> Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good
> and the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it
> still works fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
> After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl...
> when I hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%

Can't you see which process is consuming all this?

Carlos

Nope... there is a list of all the processes... about 22 or so but there is
nothing to indicate what's taking up the processing?

"Isaac" <-> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> "Carlos" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:Esahc.4043$(E-Mail Removed) e.rogers.com:
>
> > I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work
> > every 10 or 12 minutes or so.
> > Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good
> > and the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it
> > still works fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
> > After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl...
> > when I hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%

> Can't you see which process is consuming all this?

Roy Jones

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 14:28:52 GMT, Carlos wrote:

> I've also got a friends machine in here that locks up like clock work every
> 10 or 12 minutes or so.
> Obviously I thought it would be a heat issue but the temp. looks good and
> the fans are running great. Plus once you restart right away it still works
> fine up to that 10-12 minute mark.
> After the 10 minutes it will just slow down to an absolute crawl... when I
> hit ctrl/alt/del I see that the CPU is running at 100%
>
> I disabled just about everything in windows startup and used "Startup
> Control Panel 2.8" by Mike Lin to disable just about everything.
>
> I took out the hard drive and connected it to mine and did a Virus check and
> it checked out ok...
>
> I installed 2 Anti-Spyware programs and still the same thing.
> I uninstalled almost every single program available in the add/remove...
>
> I'm stumped...
> It's a Chaintech mother board with a P4 1.6GHz, 768MB RAM, Maxtor Hard Drive
> (which all seem to be good)... This person doesn't want to reinstall the
> OS and is willing to wait some time to get it going right... any help would
> be greatly appreciated... thanks
>
> Carlos
> (E-Mail Removed)

Have you considered the possibility that it might be some component other
than the CPU overheating? A failed junction in some solid state part can
cause the sort of failure you're seeing. The component might overheat, but
because it's so small, it won't have any effect on the ambient temperature
of the PC.

Roy

Isaac

I have had something similar. On a dual processor system with W2000 one
processor was used for nearly 100%, all kernel time, and the system wasn't
stable either. With Performance monitor (%SystemRoot%\system32\perfmon.msc
/s), I discovered that that processor had to handle about 100000
interrupts/sec. Alas I couldn't see which interrupt it was.

Google told me that it was a BIOS bug on my mobo, there was a conflict in
some TLA I can't remember. I had to reinstall W2000, where I had to tell
setup that it was a default dual processor system, instead of a more
advanced one, which was detected automatically.

Now your system: I would check if there are some powersavings enabled in
the BIOS.

Isaac