Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > VS.NET 2003, Visual Database Tools, Oracle 8i

VS.NET 2003, Visual Database Tools, Oracle 8i

Kevin Nechodom

In July 2003, there was a post by Srinivas Kanakapally [MSFT]:

> In VS .Net 2002, with respect to Oracle we officially supported database
> designing only against version 7.3. Though users were using this
> functionality against Oracle8i and Oracle9i, it was never officially
> supported.
>
> Due to changes in the database model used for Oracle 8.0 and later, Visual
> Studio .NET 2003 (VS2003) no longer allows this functionality as it might
> cause corruption of user data. So, if you attempt to implement one of these
> functions, you will get one of the following errors:
>
> "This back-end version is not supported to design database diagrams or
> tables"
>
> - or -
>
> "This back-end version is not supported to design views"

I actually started having this error when a database was upgraded to
9i, but after upgrading to VS 2003, I am now unable to update
anything, quite in line with this message.

What do I do about it? I have been using VS as a tool to create
tables, make changes, and when the change is problematic, script the
change. I can now do none of these things. What is the Microsoft
suggestion for this loss of functionality? I know I can use Visio for
some of this; has it been upgraded to handle non-destructive table
changes?

Thanks for any insight.

Kevin Nechodom
University of Utah MBM