Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > windows explorer crashing

windows explorer crashing

Paul Watkins

My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it crashes. 'windows
explorer has performed......'
It is only windows explorer that is crashing.

Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that might correct
the problem?
(there are no system restore points available)

Paul

Boomer

"Paul Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:IOLgc.57$(E-Mail Removed):

> My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
> Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it crashes.
> 'windows explorer has performed......'

Performed... ?

> It is only windows explorer that is crashing.
>
> Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that
> might correct the problem?
> (there are no system restore points available)
>
> Paul

Hopefully these will help.

http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#asking

Paul Watkins

I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
an error in 'explorer.exe'

Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore corrupt/damged
..dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.

Paul

news:4083ce03$0$50917$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
> "Paul Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> news:IOLgc.57$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
> > Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it crashes.
> > 'windows explorer has performed......'

> Performed... ?
>
> > It is only windows explorer that is crashing.
> >
> > Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that
> > might correct the problem?
> > (there are no system restore points available)
> >
> > Paul

> Hopefully these will help.
>
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/post.html
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#asking

Paul - xxx

Paul Watkins posted ...

> I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
> 'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
> an error in 'explorer.exe'

Check what the _exact_ error is, and the circumstances that the error
occurs, it _does_ help a lot in diagnosis ... hence the post earlier from
Boomer requesting more detailed information and posting links that explain
why.

> Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore
> corrupt/damged .dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.

Use the system disks / system restore that came with the computer. This
isn't necessarily a full system restore, but can often do system repairs,
though it _does_ depend upon who the computer manufacturer is ..

I have successfully just copied across files, including .dll files, from
other sytems using floppies.

Maybe http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;194176 might
help a bit ...

--
Paul

(8(|) Homer rocks ..

> I can't remember the exact error but it is something like:
> 'Windows Explorer has performed an Illegal Operation'
> an error in 'explorer.exe'
>
> Is there any windows XP built in utilities that could restore
> corrupt/damged .dll files without having to re-install Windows XP.
>
> Paul

Quick search via Google.com
Error Message: Explorer.exe Has Generated Errors and Will Be Closed by
Windows KB 314867
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314867

Explorer.exe May Generate an Application Error When You Close a Folder
KB 329692
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329692

Have you searched Googles archives?
http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search

> "Boomer" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:4083ce03$0$50917$(E-Mail Removed) enews.net...
>> "Paul Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> news:IOLgc.57$(E-Mail Removed):
>>
>> > My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
>> > Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it
>> > crashes. 'windows explorer has performed......'

>> Performed... ?
>>
>> > It is only windows explorer that is crashing.
>> >
>> > Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that
>> > might correct the problem?
>> > (there are no system restore points available)
>> >
>> > Paul

>> Hopefully these will help.
>>
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> http://home.satx.rr.com/badour/html/post.html
>> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ns.html#asking

Shel-hed

Post the OS.
Press ctrl alt del and post the results.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 09:08:03 +0100, "Paul Watkins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>My friend's PC has developed a 'major' fault.
>Every time he boots up and then opens windows explorer it crashes. 'windows
>explorer has performed......'
>It is only windows explorer that is crashing.
>
>Is there anything that i could try (before a re-install) that might correct
>the problem?
>(there are no system restore points available)
>
>Paul

reid decker

In System Restore, have you tried the left arrow above the calendar? You
may be able to go back a month. Then click on a restore date, I have done
it, but it doesn't always work.
news:IOLgc.57$(E-Mail Removed)...