Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help with Broadband

Help with Broadband

Zap Eagle

A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and I
was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement. I
then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was fast
(near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will not
go above 800kb.

He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has Norton
Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
also to check for crap.

Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!

Thanks,

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Zap Eagle wrote:
> A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
> company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and I
> was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
> highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
> at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
> obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
> cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
> router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement. I
> then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was fast
> (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will not
> go above 800kb.
>
> He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has Norton
> Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
> also to check for crap.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
> in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!
>

> Thanks,

You wouldn't happen to have a 10/100 ethernet port and your friend
only have a 10?

Gareth not NLL or anybody else.

> You wouldn't happen to have a 10/100 ethernet port and your friend
> only have a 10?

I thought 10/100 was in mb's not kb's
also, you are testing the line between you and the servers on dslreports at
anypoint along the way, there could be a bottleneck, not anything to do with
ur line..
Are you on 1meg line? Ifyou can download a file at around 120kbps, ur line
is working fine.
try http://www.adslguide.org.uk/ 's speed test

Gaz

pcbutts1

His hardware (nic) is crap.

"Zap Eagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
> company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and

> was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
> highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
> at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
> obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
> cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
> router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement.

> then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was

fast
> (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will

not
> go above 800kb.
>
> He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has

Norton
> Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
> also to check for crap.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
> in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!
>

> Thanks,

Phil

"Zap Eagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
> company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb

..oO(If only)

Toolman Tim

Very possible - "budget" NICs are not always well-behaved. Try putting in an
Intel or 3Com or other good card and see if it gets better.

news:avygc.1073$(E-Mail Removed) .net...
> His hardware (nic) is crap.

> "Zap Eagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
> > company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb

and
> > was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
> > highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our

speeds
> > at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
> > obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking

at
> > cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing

the
> > router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement.

> > then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was

> fast
> > (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will

> not
> > go above 800kb.
> >
> > He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has

> Norton
> > Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
> > also to check for crap.
> >
> > Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously

something
> > in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!
> >

> > Thanks,

Bill

Go to tweak test at www.dslreports.com & use dr tcp .
His win 98 o/s is set for dial-up and xp is more lan friendly.

--
Bill

"Zap Eagle" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> A friend of mine has a cable modem and router and is with the same cable
> company as I am. Our cable company recently doubled the speed to 3gb and

> was commenting about that change to him. He checked his speed and the
> highest he has attained is only at 800kb. We both have checked our speeds
> at http://www.dslreports.com/stest. I went over to see if there was an
> obvious reason why that was happening to his connection. After looking at
> cable connections, calling the cable company's tech support, removing the
> router (wireless 4-port) and various other things, still no improvement.

> then brought my laptop over and hooked to his router and the speed was

fast
> (near the 3gb) and his, plugged into the same router doesn't, still will

not
> go above 800kb.
>
> He is on Windows 98, my laptop is on Windows XP home edition. He has

Norton
> Internet Security 2004, also I installed Adware and Spybot and run those
> also to check for crap.
>
> Any suggestions or ideas as to why this is occurring? Obviously something
> in his computer isn't right, just have no idea what!
>

> Thanks,

Zap Eagle

Thanks to you all, at least I have more things to try for them.