Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Antivirus software

Antivirus software

Steve

Hello,

Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?

Steve

Boomer

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in

> Hello,
>
> Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system.
> Maybe I am dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system
> resources. I am running Windows XP Home edition. Are there any
> freeware anti-virus programs out there that are just as
> good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
>
> Steve

Hi

Mike posts a message with good anti-virus programs listed. You might
try looking for the post here or searching the Google usenet archives.

Here's some good freeware sites.
http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/freeware.html
http://www.freewarehome.com/
http://www.pricelessware.org/
http://www.sover.net/~wysiwygx/index.html

Or read through alt.comp.anti-virus

--
<sigh>

Pat

> Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I

am
> dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
> Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
> there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
>
> Steve

go out and get AVG. It's free. http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

Pat in TX

Sultan

Steve wrote in news:Wdxgc.155060$gA5.1841325@attbi_s03:

> Hello,
>
> Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system.
> Maybe I am dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources.
> I am running Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware
> anti-virus programs out there that are just as good/reliable but don't
> hog system resources?
>
> Steve

Grisoft.com has one called AVG Free Antivirus - have personally used this
now for two years and install on ALL client pc's. What is especially nice
is you can set it to automatically check for and download updates.

Sultan

Ron Martell

"Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hello,
>
>Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
>dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
>Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
>there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
>
>Steve

Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
--
Microsoft MVP
On-Line Help Computer Service

Plato

Steve wrote:

> Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
> dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running

It's a feature of Nortons.

> Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
> there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?

Yes.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

Ron Martell wrote:

> Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

Nah, one basic definition of a virus is that it can reproduce itself.
Norton cant.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

d2004xx

Ron Martell <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>. ..
> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> >Hello,
> >
> >Currently, I have Norton Anti-virus 2004 installed on my system. Maybe I am
> >dreaming, but Norton seems to be a hog on system resources. I am running
> >Windows XP Home edition. Are there any freeware anti-virus programs out
> >there that are just as good/reliable but don't hog system resources?
> >
> >Steve
> >

> Norton 2004 *is* a virus.

and Norton 2003, too.

toyalP2

Try www.nod32.com, is not free but is the best, forget Norton and Co.
And no, I don't have shares in nod32.com but I've been using it for years and
never got a virus or worm, that's why I recommend it every chance I get. It
updates itself in the background daily.
Good luck!

Toyalp2