Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > International shopping - is it ethical?

International shopping - is it ethical?

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Hi,

As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
and then donate it to your favourite charity?

Now I have been doing this for years; the amounts I pay overseas are
well within the Customs & Excise rules for gift duty exemption, I am
giving them away and not selling them.

I don't see anything ethically wrong with this but then, I assume that
crack cocaine smugglers don't have ethical issues with doing what they
do.

So, is my ethical subroutine mal-functioning or do you reckon that
this is acceptable practice, too? (The software, not the cocaine)

trout

PalindrÔ~╗me wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
> main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
> into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
> and then donate it to your favourite charity?

<snip>

No. You're worse than Hitler.
--
"I'm glad we've (tinw) cleared that up, and can go on from here (tinh)."

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

trout wrote:

> Palindrâ~»me wrote:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>> As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
>>main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
>>into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
>>and then donate it to your favourite charity?

> <snip>
>
> No. You're worse than Hitler.

omg, I KNEW I shouldn't have gone shopping in the Sudetenland.

Scrote

PalindrÔ~╗me wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
>> main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
>> into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
>> and then donate it to your favourite charity?
>>
>> Now I have been doing this for years; the amounts I pay overseas
>> are well within the Customs & Excise rules for gift duty exemption,
>> I am giving them away and not selling them.
>>
>> I don't see anything ethically wrong with this but then, I assume
>> that crack cocaine smugglers don't have ethical issues with doing
>> what they do.
>>
>> So, is my ethical subroutine mal-functioning or do you reckon that
>> this is acceptable practice, too? (The software, not the cocaine)

Well here's my sixpen'orth.... I don't see a single thing wrong. You're
a big boy (allegedly ) & how or where you spend your dosh is
entirely up to you. Pity the same ethics don't apply to some of the
software companies. I firmly believe, that many charge what they think
"the market will bear", rather than a fair price. This paticularly
applies here, in good old rip-off UK (cars, music & software to mention
but three). Carry on my son, every little helps the less fortunate.
<End of Sunday morning rant>
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition.
--
The only difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.

AD

Ethical? I would say so
Legal? that might be an issue (usage licence might also be geographical).
Who would be guilty if found out? The end user,i.e the charity (ignorance
is no defence)
Likelihood to get caught? zero (or very close to zero)
It - of course - begs the question: can something illegal be ethical?
(answer in 15 words maximum please
Regards
AD

"PalindrÔ~╗me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5tdic$5hhp9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Hi,
>
> As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
> main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
> into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
> and then donate it to your favourite charity?
>
> Now I have been doing this for years; the amounts I pay overseas are
> well within the Customs & Excise rules for gift duty exemption, I am
> giving them away and not selling them.
>
> I don't see anything ethically wrong with this but then, I assume that
> crack cocaine smugglers don't have ethical issues with doing what they
> do.
>
> So, is my ethical subroutine mal-functioning or do you reckon that
> this is acceptable practice, too? (The software, not the cocaine)

John

In article <c5tdic$5hhp9$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de>, Palindr岬me
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> As a computer professional, is it ethical to buy software from a
> main authorised dealer during a business trip overseas, bring it back
> into a country where the same software is on sale for much, much more
> and then donate it to your favourite charity?
>
> Now I have been doing this for years; the amounts I pay overseas are
> well within the Customs & Excise rules for gift duty exemption, I am
> giving them away and not selling them.
>
> I don't see anything ethically wrong with this but then, I assume that
> crack cocaine smugglers don't have ethical issues with doing what they
> do.
>
> So, is my ethical subroutine mal-functioning or do you reckon that
> this is acceptable practice, too? (The software, not the cocaine)

From the perspective of the price differential, you are taking
advantage of the better price by giving up convenience -- this is the
same principle as paying a little bit more for neighborhood stores when
there are cheaper stores more distant.
But you do need to keep in mind that the product you are buying is
intended for another country; if the license reflects that, the
publisher might be getting a different amount from the product for the
strategy of selling better in other lands, for getting domestic
benefits like tax breaks, or even by limiting the product in ways that
comply with their country's policies. There are many potential reasons
for the difference, and I doubt you can assume anything until you know
a great deal more about the industry and international computer market.

It would seem the only guideline you have regarding the software is its
license. if that expresses no restriction, I'd suggest you are doing a
good thing by making a little more effort to purchase the product.

Pat

Aha!
You're busted!
news:180420042219447241%(E-Mail Removed) d.not...