Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Help on backweb.exe

Help on backweb.exe

Paxo

Hi
I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is Adware
and I dont want it, any suggestions please?

Thanks in advance

Steve P

Trent SC

> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
> cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
> despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
> the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

Adware
> and I dont want it, any suggestions please?

Run AdAware as well as Spybot, or better still hunt out one of Mike's
excellent and detailed posts with the list of useful apps to run and deal
with this crap.

Andrew Halpern

Open spybot. DONT check your system.

On the left, Click tools, and then click startup. It will give you a list
of startup processes like MSCONFIG does. However, if you click a startup
process in spybot, it will tell u exactly what that program/file is for.
Uncheck stuff where the comments say its bad.

"Paxo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407ff812$0$31684$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi
> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
> cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
> despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
> the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

Adware
> and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve P

one_red_eye

"Paxo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:407ff812$0$31684$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> Hi
> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
> cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
> despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
> the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

Adware
> and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve P

backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware
It comes with a clean OEM install of windows when no internet connection in
present.

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

ICee

Paxo wrote:
> Hi
> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC
> and cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is
> running but despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG
> and running Spybot, the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on!
> I believe this is Adware and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Steve P

http://www.pestpatrol.com/PestInfo/B/Backweb.asp

Courtesy of °Mike°:

Spybot Search & Destroy
http://spybot.eon.net.au/
http://www.safer-networking.org/
http://spybot.safer-networking.de/
SpyBot S&D guide

Ad-Aware
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/
http://www.lavasoft.nu/

Spyware Blaster
http://www.net-integration.net/tools...reblaster.html

CWShredder (CoolWebSearch remover)

michael turner

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 11:29:17 -0500, one_red_eye wrote:

> "Paxo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:407ff812$0$31684$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>> Hi
>> I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
>> cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
>> despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running Spybot,
>> the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

> Adware
>> and I dont want it, any suggestions please?
>>
>> Thanks in advance
>>
>> Steve P
>>

> backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

Bullshit.

> It comes with a clean OEM install

Bullshit.

> of windows when no internet connection in
> present.

I comes bundled with some applications.

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

one_red_eye

> > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

> Bullshit.
>
> > It comes with a clean OEM install

> Bullshit.
>
> > of windows when no internet connection in
> > present.

> I comes bundled with some applications.
>
> --
> Michael Turner
> Email (ROT13)
> (E-Mail Removed)

Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing ZoneAlarm.
Ad-aware
or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it. Maybe
it comes with ZA...
--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

michael turner

On Fri, 16 Apr 2004 18:02:15 -0500, one_red_eye wrote:

>> > backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

>> Bullshit.
>>
>> > It comes with a clean OEM install

>> Bullshit.
>>
>> > of windows when no internet connection in
>> > present.

>> I comes bundled with some applications.
>>
>> --
>> Michael Turner
>> Email (ROT13)
>> (E-Mail Removed)

> Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing ZoneAlarm.
> Ad-aware
> or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it. Maybe
> it comes with ZA...

It sometimes comes with Hewlett-Packard printer software/drivers, and
Kodak camera software/drivers and is installed even if the computer is
NOT 'net connected. it's used to check for software updates, but YES it
also has some spyware issues.

IT DOES NOT COME WITH WINDOWS.

http://www.backweb.com

--
Michael Turner
Email (ROT13)

J.K.J.M

hi,
Backweb is an auto update program. It came with our kodak digital camera and
some other things too. Its ok to leave!!

"Trent SC" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:LTSfc.33454$Y%(E-Mail Removed)9.net...
> > I have backweb.exe running in the background everytime I boot my PC and
> > cannot get rid of it. I can end the process when Windows is running but
> > despite unticking any suspect applications in MSCONFIG and running

Spybot,
> > the damn program still runs when I turn my PC on! I believe this is

> Adware
> > and I dont want it, any suggestions please?

> Run AdAware as well as Spybot, or better still hunt out one of Mike's
> excellent and detailed posts with the list of useful apps to run and deal
> with this crap.

trout

one_red_eye wrote:

>>> backweb.exe is part of windows, it is not spyware

<snip>

> Call bullshit if you like, but I found it after only installing
> ZoneAlarm. Ad-aware
> or Spyware Blaster or McAfee or Eztrust AV didn't find issue with it.
> Maybe it comes with ZA...

None of those other programs is a firewall. ZoneAlarm doesn't have
an opinion about it, other than it's trying to call out.
It won't necessarily be identified as spyware, as various
manufacturers use it as part of their support/diagnostic system. The
privacy issue is raised because its function *is* to phone home with
information about your system. And that it does not generally do so
transparently, and with your permission.
This is one of the things that firewalls are for.
--
"And no. Not part of Windows."