Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > newbie help...is it possible to send and recieve fax transmissions using my PC?

newbie help...is it possible to send and recieve fax transmissions using my PC?

the niner nation

Hi...I have a newbie question..

I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
connection to the internet.
Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
i can do it via my PC...
also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!

thanks in advance

--
The Voice of the 49ers
www.sf49ers.com

Trent SC

> Hi...I have a newbie question..
>
> I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
> connection to the internet.
> Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
> that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines

if
> i can do it via my PC...
> also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!

In short, no. Your DSL modem uses a different technology to faxes. You'll
need to invest in a 'traditional' 56K modem if you want to send faxes, or
use on of the web-based fax gateways.

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

the niner nation wrote:

> Hi...I have a newbie question..
>
> I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
> connection to the internet.
> Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
> that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
> i can do it via my PC...
> also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
>

> thanks in advance

No... and yes.

No, you can't use a DSL modem as a fax.
Yes, you can subscribe to a fax<>email service and send and receive
faxes via that and your DSL modem. Try a Google search on "email fax"

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:17:39
+0100, "the niner nation" <removeTHISdipak@take
thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk> claimed the following truncated trash
was the absolute, ****ing truth:

>Hi...I have a newbie question..
>
>I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
>connection to the internet.
>Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
>that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
>i can do it via my PC...
>also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
>

>thanks in advance

I assume that your machine came with an analog (dial up) modem, too.
If you're not sure, look it up in your owner's manual or into Control
Panel/ System Properties/ Hardware/ Device Manager. If you have a
modem installed, it'll be in there and is listed. People confuse the
old analog modems and DSL/Cable modems. These are *not* one and the
same kind of device. An analog modem uses a telephone line to log onto
the internent and transmits data by analog signals (that's the
screeching sound you hear.) A DSL/ Cable modem is actually a small
computer that acts as a gateway to highspeed Internet connection and
uses a digital signal to transmit data. If you don't know the
difference between analog and digital, do a search using Google or
Yahoo. To use your computer to receive a fax, XP comes with it's own
faxing software, which is pretty easy to use. To receive a fax, go
into Start/ Programs/ Accessories/ Communications/ Fax/ Fax Console.
Click on File/ Receive a Fax. If you can't figure that out from there,
click on Help. To send a fax, scan the document in (or if you have a
document in Word, such as a resume, open the document), click on File/
Print. Instead of using the printer driver, choose the fax driver and
click OK. It will walk you through the rest.

HTH

Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor

Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Thu, 15 Apr 2004 17:24:55
+0100, Palindr?me <(E-Mail Removed)> claimed the following truncated
trash was the absolute, ****ing truth:

>the niner nation wrote:
>
>> Hi...I have a newbie question..
>>
>> I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
>> connection to the internet.
>> Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
>> that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
>> i can do it via my PC...
>> also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!
>>

>> thanks in advance
>>

>No... and yes.
>
>No, you can't use a DSL modem as a fax.
>Yes, you can subscribe to a fax<>email service and send and receive
>faxes via that and your DSL modem. Try a Google search on "email fax"

Please read my post on how to send a fax with your analog modem. MKost
OEM PCs still come with ananalog modem and can be used to send and
receive faxes. You don't have to use some service (that can be
expensive) when you can use your own PC for free.

Shane Matthews

<removeTHISdipak@take thisOUT49ers98.freeserve.co.uk> wrote:

>Hi...I have a newbie question..
>
>I am using windows XP on my PC and have a dsl modem/wireless router as my
>connection to the internet.
>Using this, is it possible for me to send and recieve fax messages? i know
>that faxes are dated, but i'd rather not invest in one of those machines if
>i can do it via my PC...
>also..it would be helpful to learn HOW to do it, too!!!

Have a look at this site; http://www.tpc.int/ for sending faxes.
Using http://www.j2.com/jconnect/twa/page/homePage you can receive
them for free.