Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Share modem without networking?

Share modem without networking?

bigjon

I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

Gordon

bigjon cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:

> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

Buy a router, attach the router to the cable modem, and then connect
each machine to the router.

-= Hawk =-

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:50:00 +0100, bigjon <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
>I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
>Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

A degree in electrical engineering?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

-= Hawk =-

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 21:51:50 +0100, Gordon <(E-Mail Removed)> scribbled:

>bigjon cogitated deeply and scribbled thusly:
>
>> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
>> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
>> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

>Buy a router, attach the router to the cable modem, and then connect
>each machine to the router.

Sounds like networking to me....

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

boon

"bigjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vuwntjbl9l14.npc6o9tw5n1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
machine.

Hywel

In article <J3ifc.3817$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> "bigjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:vuwntjbl9l14.npc6o9tw5n1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
> > I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
> > Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

> no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
> machine.

Are those in the "home user" price bracket yet? Last time I checked
they were prohibitively expensive for the SOHO user.

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Hywel wrote:

> In article <J3ifc.3817$(E-Mail Removed)>,
> (E-Mail Removed) says...
>
>>"bigjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:vuwntjbl9l14.npc6o9tw5n1k$(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>
>>>I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
>>>I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
>>>Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

>>no you cant without networking, unless you develop a telepathy card for each
>>machine.

> Are those in the "home user" price bracket yet? Last time I checked
> they were prohibitively expensive for the SOHO user.

Everything in SOHO is prohibitively expensive.

Jerry G.

The only way to do this is to network the machines. There is no other way,
unless you can develop a new system yourself. If you can develop a new
system let me know, because we can make a lot of money with this!

You can either connect up a router, or install a second network card in the
main machine. The second network card will be a lot more complex, because
you will have to designate the machine as a network controller, and it will
have to be turned on when access is required from the other machine.

The simplest way is to have a router with a WAN connector on the back. The
process is very simplified these days, and does not take an engineering
degree to do a simple network.

--

Greetings,

Jerry Greenberg GLG Technologies GLG
WebPage http://www.zoom-one.com

"bigjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vuwntjbl9l14.npc6o9tw5n1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

-= Hawk =-

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:54:40 -0400, "Jerry G." <(E-Mail Removed)>
scribbled:

>The only way to do this is to network the machines. There is no other way,
>unless you can develop a new system yourself. If you can develop a new
>system let me know, because we can make a lot of money with this!

Why? Who'd buy such a piece of ****?

Riddles II, v3
- T. Pratchett

Rodney Kelp

Connecting two computers to the same device IS networking.

"bigjon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:vuwntjbl9l14.npc6o9tw5n1k$(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a BY Surfboard cable modem on a 1MB cable connection.
> I need to connect two PC's to it without networking them.
> Can I do this, and if so what do I need and how do I do it ?

---