Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > internet disconnection!!

internet disconnection!!

J.K.J.M

Hi,

On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about 10
mins at a time, then it disconnects me.

Any suggestions???
Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

trout

J.K.J.M wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for
> about 10 mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
>
> Any suggestions???
> Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
> 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

Maybe your mail program? Tools; Options; Connections; 'Hang up after
sending and receiving'?
--
"Just a guess."

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

J.K.J.M wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about 10
> mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
>
> Any suggestions???
> Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
> 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
being dropped every few minutes.

So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
line at the moment.

The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.

Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

Roy Veevers

"PalindrÔ~╗me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c5itco$26nap$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> J.K.J.M wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about

10
> > mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
> >
> > Any suggestions???
> > Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
> > 'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

> Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
> trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
> horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
> number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
> noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
> that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
> being dropped every few minutes.
>
> So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
> that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
> wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
> line at the moment.
>
> The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
> suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
> network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
>
> Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
> parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to say
the least.

How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All you
need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
problem.
--
RV

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Roy Veevers wrote:
> "Palindrâ~»me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c5itco$26nap$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>J.K.J.M wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about

> 10
>
>>>mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
>>>
>>>Any suggestions???
>>>Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
>>>'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

>>Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
>>trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
>>horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
>>number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
>>noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
>>that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
>>being dropped every few minutes.
>>
>>So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
>>that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
>>wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
>>line at the moment.
>>
>>The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
>>suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
>>network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
>>
>>Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
>>parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

> Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to say
> the least.
>
> How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All you
> need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
> problem.

Do you think that this could be a possibility in this case?

Trent SC

about
> > 10
> >>
> >>Firstly, I have the square root of not much experience of infection by
> >>trojans, viruses, et al - so please be kind if I am writing a load of
> >>horseradish. But, I did see WatchDog on TV and it did say a large
> >>number of computers had had their dial up hijacked without the users
> >>noticing and it was dialing premium rate numbers instead. One thing
> >>that was mentioned was that users did find that their connection was
> >>being dropped every few minutes.
> >>
> >>So I am daring to write about something I know little about to suggest
> >>that possibility. Better to waste your time than leave you potentially
> >>wasting your money, if you happen to be connected to a premium rate
> >>line at the moment.
> >>
> >>The "expert" on TV said pull the phone plug immediately, if you even
> >>suspect that this may be a problem and then look through your dial up
> >>network settings and see if there is one that you don't recognise.
> >>
> >>Hope it isn't this but thought that I would stick my neck above the
> >>parapet and suggest it as a possibility!

> > Saw that Tosh myself! That so-called expert was a bit of a plonker to

say
> > the least.
> > How these people run up these bills to be honest, beggars belief. All

you
> > need to do IS check what IPS number you are in fact dialling. No great
> > problem.

> Do you think that this could be a possibility in this case?

Very unlikely, I would imagine. The OP's problem was that the computer
keeps disconnecting. A malware dialler would do exactly the opposite.

Millimeter

On Wed, 14 Apr 2004 17:46:31 +1000, "J.K.J.M"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On my laptop I can only connect to my dial up internet srevice for about 10
>mins at a time, then it disconnects me.
>
>Any suggestions???
>Its not 'disconnect when connection no longer needed' tickbox and not
>'disconnect if idle for xx mins'

I know nothing about your Aussie phone system, but do you have call
waiting on your line?

http://www.global.net.uk/home/support/docs/glo034.shtm

has a reasonable checklist of things that may cause disconnects.
hth,
Millimeter