Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Ghosting a Hard Drive

Ghosting a Hard Drive

NoSpam

I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap with a
second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary drive to the
modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the floppy drive as it's
out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a bootable CD
Rom that will allow me to image the drives?

Thanks

Brian

Toolman Tim

"NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap with a
> second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary drive to the
> modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the floppy drive as

it's
> out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
> My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a bootable CD
> Rom that will allow me to image the drives?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

Norton Ghost will. I haven't tried it myself, but I did read the docs about
it.

Toolman

Unk

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:41:19 -0400, "NoSpam" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap with a
>second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary drive to the
>modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the floppy drive as it's
>out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
>My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a bootable CD
>Rom that will allow me to image the drives?
>
>Thanks
>
>Brian

Make the Norton Ghost bootable floppy disk, then use the floppy to create a
bootable CD. I used NTI CD/DVD Maker. I selected create "Data CD", copied
the floppy's programs to the burn window, then checked the box, "Bootable
CD". When I clicked burn, It asked me if I wanted to use the bootable floppy
for the CD boot. I answered yes, and it only took a few minuter to create
the CD. It booted just fine. Ghost started right up.

Whatever burning software you use probably has similar options.

Jeroen Wijnands

NoSpam wrote:

> I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap with a
> second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary drive to the
> modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the floppy drive as it's
> out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
> My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a bootable CD
> Rom that will allow me to image the drives?

It will.

What I did was backup my partition to a compressed ghost file on a
second partition. I then followed http://www.nu2.nu/bootcd/ to create a
bootable cd with the image, ghost.exe and a generic mouse driver.

I'd reccommend testing it on a CD-RW to be sure you got it right.

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Willard

NoSpam wrote:
> I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap with a
> second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary drive to the
> modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the floppy drive as it's
> out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
> My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a bootable CD
> Rom that will allow me to image the drives?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

I use PowerQuest's DriveImage7.0 "CopyDrive" program using Win2k..
You can select whether to make the copied drive active or not, since you
should not reboot with two active Win2K drives..

Willard

Tim

NoSpam wrote:
> I have a laptop that has a modular floppy drive bay that I can swap
> with a second hard drive in it's place. I want to image my primary
> drive to the modular drive for a back up. But I can't boot from the
> floppy drive as it's out in order to have the modular hard drive in.
> My question is will Ghost or Drive Image allow you to create a
> bootable CD Rom that will allow me to image the drives?
>
> Thanks
>
> Brian

If you get the CD version of Drive Image 2002, the installation disk is
bootable.