Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > PS/2 to Serial adapter not recognized

PS/2 to Serial adapter not recognized

strand

The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?

Toolman Tim

"strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9A_dc.43380$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
> connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

an
> old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
> wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

adapter?

I'm sorry - I can't see your mouse from here...could you move it a little
closer so I can see the make and model? And turn up the brightness on your
display so I can see what operating system you have installed?

T.T.

philo

"strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:9A_dc.43380$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
> connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

an
> old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
> wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

adapter?

those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work as
either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

strand

compaq mouse (not a compaq 'puter) and win98se

--
xx
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:9A_dc.43380$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

> > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

> an
> > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

I'm
> > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

> adapter?
> >

> I'm sorry - I can't see your mouse from here...could you move it a little
> closer so I can see the make and model? And turn up the brightness on

your
> display so I can see what operating system you have installed?
>
> T.T.

strand

> > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

> > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed

> an
> > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

I'm
> > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

> adapter?
> >

> those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work

as
> either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

Are you saying that some PS/2 mice are 'designed' to able to be used as a
serial mouse with one of these ps/2> serial adapters ?

Toolman Tim

Well, it probably is the age of the mouse. Compaq mice are usually made by
Logitech. Some of their mice will do serial/PS2 (or PS2/USB), but not all.
There are converters to USB out there (keyboard/mouse into a cable into your
USB port) but that would probably cost as much as a new mouse.

Tim

"strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:3U%dc.43434$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> compaq mouse (not a compaq 'puter) and win98se
>
> --
> xx
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > "strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:9A_dc.43380$(E-Mail Removed) ...
> > > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

> > > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I

borrowed
> > an
> > > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

> I'm
> > > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

> > adapter?
> > >

> > I'm sorry - I can't see your mouse from here...could you move it a

little
> > closer so I can see the make and model? And turn up the brightness on

> your
> > display so I can see what operating system you have installed?
> >
> > T.T.

Toolman Tim

"strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z40ec.43442$(E-Mail Removed) ...

> > > The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter

> > > connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I

borrowed
> > an
> > > old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine.

> I'm
> > > wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the

> > adapter?
> > >

> > those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to

work
> as
> > either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!
> >

> Are you saying that some PS/2 mice are 'designed' to able to be used as a
> serial mouse with one of these ps/2> serial adapters ?

Yep - mine came that way. And new ones come USB/PS2. I have them at work.
But it's at the hardware level inside the mouse. Just adding an external
adapter won't change a non-dual mouse.

Toolman

Plato

strand wrote:

> The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
> connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
> old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
> wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?

Because the ps/2 mouse is not a ps/2/serial mouse.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Plato

philo wrote:

> those adaptors work *only* if the mouse was specifically designed to work as
> either serial or ps/2 most are not so designed!

Right.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/

Barry OGrady

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 18:31:05 -0400, "strand" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>The mobo has a loose/problematic PS/2 mouse port. I bought an adapter to
>connect it toone of the serial ports but it isn't recognized. I borrowed an
>old serial port mouse (hard wired/no adapter) and it works just fine. I'm
>wondering why the PS/2 mouse isn't seen as a serial mouse with the adapter?

To work with an adapter it must be comaptable with both PS/2 and serial.

-Barry
========