Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Certain downloading stalls -- needs reboot

Certain downloading stalls -- needs reboot

Fatfreek

I have been trying to download Nero6316.exe (some 26 mbytes) from various
U.S. sites with negative success. I say negative because each attempt, on
my dialup connection, stalls at from 300 to 600 kbytes. From that moment I
finally give up on the download and Cancel. Then, I can do nothing else on
the net. Hyperlinks seem to click ok but take me nowhere - my monitor icons
in the lower right tray do not light up, followed by "page not found"
message. If I click to fetch email, "server not found". If I launch
Outlook Express for the newsgroups it launches okay, but when I click on a
specific newsgroup, "server not found" is the message.

The only way out of this mess is to reboot.

But it doesn't seem to be just the downloading itself that triggers this
problem. I just did a Windows Update (I use Win2k Pro and IE, latest
Service Packs) and while I didn't think I needed the two non-critical
updates, I attempted them anyhow - and that downloading worked -- some 9.9
mbytes worth. In addition I'm able to do what I'm doing right now - post to
a newsgroup.

Could it be that specific Nero file that I'm try to get that's giving me the
problems? Again, I've used different sites.

Len Miller

--
Eradicate threes in my NOSPAM address

one_red_eye

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I have been trying to download Nero6316.exe (some 26 mbytes) from various
> U.S. sites with negative success. I say negative because each attempt, on
> my dialup connection, stalls at from 300 to 600 kbytes. From that moment

> finally give up on the download and Cancel. Then, I can do nothing else

on
> the net. Hyperlinks seem to click ok but take me nowhere - my monitor

icons
> in the lower right tray do not light up, followed by "page not found"
> message. If I click to fetch email, "server not found". If I launch
> Outlook Express for the newsgroups it launches okay, but when I click on a
> specific newsgroup, "server not found" is the message.
>
> The only way out of this mess is to reboot.
>
> But it doesn't seem to be just the downloading itself that triggers this
> problem. I just did a Windows Update (I use Win2k Pro and IE, latest
> Service Packs) and while I didn't think I needed the two non-critical
> updates, I attempted them anyhow - and that downloading worked -- some

9.9
> mbytes worth. In addition I'm able to do what I'm doing right now - post

> a newsgroup.
>
> Could it be that specific Nero file that I'm try to get that's giving me

the
> problems? Again, I've used different sites.
>

> Len Miller
>

> --
> Eradicate threes in my NOSPAM address

What version of windows are you using?

--
I saw Elvis. He sat between
me and Bigfoot on the UFO.

Boomer

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> I have been trying to download Nero6316.exe (some 26 mbytes) from
> various U.S. sites with negative success.

What different sites? Not Nero.com?

[snip]
> Could it be that specific Nero file that I'm try to get that's
> giving me the problems? Again, I've used different sites.
>

> Len Miller

Fatfreek

Here's one of them that I kept failing at. A nearby friend, however, was
able to get it without a hitch. (Yes, he has a cable modem but under Win
9.

http://www.nero.com/us/mirror.php

> What different sites? Not Nero.com?

Boomer

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

>> What different sites? Not Nero.com?

> Here's one of them that I kept failing at. A nearby friend,
> however, was able to get it without a hitch. (Yes, he has a cable
> modem but under Win 9.
>
> http://www.nero.com/us/mirror.php

Both of these (from the above link) work fine for me, on dialup.
ftp://ftp4.nero.com/nero6316.exe
ftp://62.93.193.46/nero6316.exe

Is your ISP having problems? Does your friend use the same ISP?

You might want to download and install this program 'DLExpert'
and see if that will help. http:www.yanew.com

And, if you haven't already, try these tips from °Mike°.

"Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html"

Fatfreek

Oops, I may have spoken too soon. My friend just called and said his W98
machine wouldn't boot up properly this morning -- all kinds of problems. He
had to use his "GoBack" program, taking his system back to before he
downloaded the file. He doesn't understand it since he highlighted the file
with Norton and said it checked clean.

Len

"Fatfreek" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Here's one of them that I kept failing at. A nearby friend, however, was
> able to get it without a hitch. (Yes, he has a cable modem but under Win
> 9.
>
> http://www.nero.com/us/mirror.php
>

> > What different sites? Not Nero.com?

Fatfreek

Thanks for the tips, Boomer. I will look into them.

Yes, my friend uses a different ISP (and please note his problems following
the download on my reply above).

Len

news:40796c31$0$174$(E-Mail Removed) ews.net...

Maybe something here? http://www.nero.com/us/support.html