Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > One set of Speakers for two pcs?

One set of Speakers for two pcs?

OrmesbyJohn

I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link one
set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
Thanks

Palindrome

OrmesbyJohn wrote:

> I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link one
> set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
> Thanks

Many options, the cheapest and simplest being:
Use a plug-plug lead between the "speaker out" on one and the "line
in" on the other. The "other" then has to be running but can mix the
sounds from both systems and present them to the speakers.

OrmesbyJohn

"Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c58nai$2pg0q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>
> > I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link

one
> > set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
> > Thanks
> >

> Many options, the cheapest and simplest being:
> Use a plug-plug lead between the "speaker out" on one and the "line
> in" on the other. The "other" then has to be running but can mix the
> sounds from both systems and present them to the speakers.

------------
Thanks, but wish to be able to use the speakers with either pc when the
other is either running or shut down.

Gary L. Burnore

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 14:34:36 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>"Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:c58nai$2pg0q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>>
>> > I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link

>one
>> > set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
>> > Thanks
>> >

>> Many options, the cheapest and simplest being:
>> Use a plug-plug lead between the "speaker out" on one and the "line
>> in" on the other. The "other" then has to be running but can mix the
>> sounds from both systems and present them to the speakers.

>------------
>Thanks, but wish to be able to use the speakers with either pc when the
>other is either running or shut down.

Altec Lansing has some with dual inputs that work just fine with two
devices.

Palindrome

OrmesbyJohn wrote:

> "Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c58nai$2pg0q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>
>>OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>>

>>>I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link

> one
>
>>>set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
>>>Thanks
>>>

>>Many options, the cheapest and simplest being:
>> Use a plug-plug lead between the "speaker out" on one and the "line
>>in" on the other. The "other" then has to be running but can mix the
>>sounds from both systems and present them to the speakers.

> ------------
> Thanks, but wish to be able to use the speakers with either pc when the
> other is either running or shut down.
>
> As I said, many options, you really need to provide more info if you

want a focused reply.
Two more options:

You can get switch boxes that will do the job. You will probably have to
convert the stereo jack plugs to either phono or larger jackplugs. Plan
on about 15GBP.
(But if you don't want to have to manually switch, the above won't do)

You can also get small mixing "desks" for about 20GBP. But they will
need a mains adaptor (another 5GBP). This will give you a mix of the two
signals so that you can hear both at the same time.
(But if you don't want to use something that needs a mains socket, this
won't do).

Gimpy

If your looking for a 2-way switch, this Co. has all different types
with the right size plugs. Also extra cables available if needed
http://electronicsusa.com/
"Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c58tos$2qp2j1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> OrmesbyJohn wrote:
>
> > "Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:c58nai$2pg0q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

link

> > one

> >>Many options, the cheapest and simplest being:
> >> Use a plug-plug lead between the "speaker out" on one and the

"line
> >>in" on the other. The "other" then has to be running but can mix the
> >>sounds from both systems and present them to the speakers.

> > ------------
> > Thanks, but wish to be able to use the speakers with either pc when

the
> > other is either running or shut down.
> >
> > As I said, many options, you really need to provide more info if you

> want a focused reply.
> Two more options:
>
> You can get switch boxes that will do the job. You will probably have

> convert the stereo jack plugs to either phono or larger jackplugs.

Plan
> on about 15GBP.
> (But if you don't want to have to manually switch, the above won't do)
>
> You can also get small mixing "desks" for about 20GBP. But they will
> need a mains adaptor (another 5GBP). This will give you a mix of the

two
> signals so that you can hear both at the same time.
> (But if you don't want to use something that needs a mains socket,

this
> won't do).

OrmesbyJohn

"Gimpy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your looking for a 2-way switch, this Co. has all different types
> with the right size plugs. Also extra cables available if needed
> http://electronicsusa.com/
> "Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c58tos$2qp2j1$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> > OrmesbyJohn wrote:
> >
> > > "Palindrome" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:c58nai$2pg0q0$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...

> link
> > >
> > > one

> "line
> > >
> > > ------------
> > > Thanks, but wish to be able to use the speakers with either pc when

> the
> > > other is either running or shut down.
> > >
> > > As I said, many options, you really need to provide more info if you

> > want a focused reply.
> > Two more options:
> >
> > You can get switch boxes that will do the job. You will probably have

> > convert the stereo jack plugs to either phono or larger jackplugs.

> Plan
> > on about 15GBP.
> > (But if you don't want to have to manually switch, the above won't do)
> >
> > You can also get small mixing "desks" for about 20GBP. But they will
> > need a mains adaptor (another 5GBP). This will give you a mix of the

> two
> > signals so that you can hear both at the same time.
> > (But if you don't want to use something that needs a mains socket,

> this
> > won't do).

------------------------
TVM for all the advice.

Millimeter

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:50:59 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link one
>set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
>Thanks

How about a simple Y adapter allowing 2 in ->1 out?
They are both output jacks on the soundcard so there will be no load
to contend with.

Just a thought,
Millimeter

=?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=

Millimeter wrote:

> On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:50:59 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>>I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link one
>>set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
>>Thanks
>>

> How about a simple Y adapter allowing 2 in ->1 out?
> They are both output jacks on the soundcard so there will be no load
> to contend with.
>
> Just a thought,
> Millimeter

A good idea but only if you include current limiting resistors
(~100-1Kohm) in each of the Y arms (both arms so that the two channels
keep roughly the same signal levels). The outputs from sound cards are
not open collector and the output devices will be taken out of their
safe operating area when one card attempt to pull the output high whilst
the other attempts to pull it low. You can happily parallel two inputs
but not two outputs, unless they are current sink, open collector type.

Toolman Tim

"PalindrÔ~╗me" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c59sg0$2qtnc2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Millimeter wrote:
>
> > On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 12:50:59 +0100, "OrmesbyJohn"
> > <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >

> >>I'm sure its a simple piece of kit but what do I need to be able to link

one
> >>set of speakers with two adjacent pc soundcards?
> >>Thanks
> >>

> > How about a simple Y adapter allowing 2 in ->1 out?
> > They are both output jacks on the soundcard so there will be no load
> > to contend with.
> >
> > Just a thought,
> > Millimeter

> A good idea but only if you include current limiting resistors
> (~100-1Kohm) in each of the Y arms (both arms so that the two channels
> keep roughly the same signal levels). The outputs from sound cards are
> not open collector and the output devices will be taken out of their
> safe operating area when one card attempt to pull the output high whilst
> the other attempts to pull it low. You can happily parallel two inputs
> but not two outputs, unless they are current sink, open collector type.

Do the resistors go in series in the signal wire? Or are they a cross from
signal to ground? Just wondering...