Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Connect to home PC from work?

Connect to home PC from work?

Usenet-IS-Fun

Hi Group

I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be able
to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both POP
and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
home.

Any ideas on a solution using port 80 which is open for Web (although heavily
censored). I could change my p2p port for E-Mule web interface to 80 and
considered running VNC on 80 instead. Ideally would prefer a more secure
option that also makes it possible to run a stand alone executable on my work
NT station as installation is not an option.

Suggestions welcome.
Thanks

XP Pro, AMD 2200, Cable Modem etc

°Mike°

A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:35:13 +0100, in
<c56mt0$pn7$(E-Mail Removed)>
Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Palindrome

°Mike° wrote:

> A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

Oh, it was only a typing mistake - should have been, "..I live a 9 hour
drive from THE home.".

> On Fri, 9 Apr 2004 18:35:13 +0100, in
> <c56mt0$pn7$(E-Mail Removed)>
> Usenet-IS-Fun scrawled:
>

>>Hi Group
>>
>>I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be able
>>to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both POP
>>and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
>>home.
>>
>>Any ideas on a solution using port 80 which is open for Web (although heavily
>>censored). I could change my p2p port for E-Mule web interface to 80 and
>>considered running VNC on 80 instead. Ideally would prefer a more secure
>>option that also makes it possible to run a stand alone executable on my work
>>NT station as installation is not an option.
>>
>>Suggestions welcome.
>>Thanks
>>
>>XP Pro, AMD 2200, Cable Modem etc

Mike Fleming

using port 80 alone is unikely to get you through a proxy. You need to use
http tuneling over port 80. I did this once using a product called
remotelyAnywhere by 3am labs i think which is a web based remote access type
thing but **** me was it s l o w. was ok to view home for email etc

lety me know if you find something better

"Usenet-IS-Fun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c56mt0$pn7$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Group
>
> I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be

able
> to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both

POP
> and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
> home.
>
> Any ideas on a solution using port 80 which is open for Web (although

heavily
> censored). I could change my p2p port for E-Mule web interface to 80 and
> considered running VNC on 80 instead. Ideally would prefer a more secure
> option that also makes it possible to run a stand alone executable on my

work
> NT station as installation is not an option.
>
> Suggestions welcome.
> Thanks
>
> XP Pro, AMD 2200, Cable Modem etc

Hywel

In article <c56mt0$pn7$(E-Mail Removed)>, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)
says...
> Hi Group
>
> I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be able
> to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both POP
> and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
> home.

Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
bloody long way from your house.

Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
your email until the evening, and keep your job?

--
Hywel I do not eat quiche
http://kibo.org.uk/

Usenet-IS-Fun

: A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!
:

I guess your geography is a little rusty. When was the last time you drove
from Brighton to Glasgow? Ok it was bank holiday and my motor is old but it'll
still do 90 but just try to do over 60 along the A303 or A415 or M5/M6 or
M6/M62 or M6/M55 etc etc

Hamman

> A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

driven through central london recenty?

hamman

PuddleNuts

°Mike° wrote:

> A 9 hour drive? In the UK? Yeah, right!

How sad is that to assume everyone is from the UK.

--
When you played in the sandbox as a kid, did cats keep trying to bury you?

Usenet-IS-Fun

"Hywel" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
: In article <c56mt0$pn7$(E-Mail Removed)>, (E-Mail Removed)
: says...
: > Hi Group
: >
: > I work for a firm with rather over zealous IT Nazi's and would like to be
able
: > to connect to my home PC from work. This way I can check my e-mail both
POP
: > and HTTP, queue p2p and have general access as I live a 9 hour drive from
: > home.
:
: Considering I can get from Hereford to Aberdeen in 8 hours, you live a
: bloody long way from your house.

I do indeed. That's a pretty good result ... you got a jet?
I share a pad in Brighton and live in Winchester during the week but my actual
house is in Glasgow.
Granted I did travel cross country at 5.30pm (this Thursday) to miss the
M23/M25 but the best I've managed even from Winchester is 7.5 hrs that said I
always end up travelling peak times cos' of my job and have you seen the new
cameras on the M6 that calculate your average speed over a distance?

: Why not just queue everything up before you go to work, forget about
: your email until the evening, and keep your job?

I only get back to Glasgow every 4-6 weeks and haven't committed to relocation
so don't have a phone line and mobiles are too expensive for net access
although Orange were offering a decent deal a few weeks ago ... I digress

Usenet-IS-Fun

"Mike Fleming" <michael_r_fleming@****yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:c56q5q$uo3$(E-Mail Removed)...
: using port 80 alone is unikely to get you through a proxy. You need to use
: http tuneling over port 80. I did this once using a product called
: remotelyAnywhere by 3am labs i think which is a web based remote access type
: thing but **** me was it s l o w. was ok to view home for email etc

Thanks. I had a feeling that would be the case about a proxy but you've
possibly hit on the best solution which is to subscribe to a provider of web
based remote access although I'd prefer a free solution. I'll give it a try
assuming I'm not circumventing any existing safeguards of my employer by
tunnelling.