Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Compaq Pressario 700 fails to boot

Compaq Pressario 700 fails to boot

Dick M.

The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
picture files. Is there a way?
Sue

Jeroen Wijnands

Dick M. wrote:

> The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
> Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
> power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
> boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
> which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
> to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
> setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
> bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
> the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
> cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
> to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
> picture files. Is there a way?
> Sue

You could try a repair.

http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repa...sting%20Setup:

--
Groeten/Regards
Jeroen Wijnands

Palindrome

Dick M. wrote:

> The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
> Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
> power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
> boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
> which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
> to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
> setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
> bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
> the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
> cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
> to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
> picture files. Is there a way?
> Sue

Do you have access to another computer or a LAN? If so, you could put
your Pressario hard disk into another machine as a secondary disk (using
a 2.5" cable adapter) and see if you could copy off all your files. Or
make a network-enabled boot floppy/CD (with NTFS reader software, if
needed) and use that view and to transfer your files, using the network
connection. Even if you don't have another machine or network, you could
use the boot floppy to access your files and make copies on floppy.
Sorry not to be familiar with the Pressario and the CDs that come with
it. It would be well worth finding someone that is (Campaq web site
technical support?) as there may easily be a way of getting the system
restored without losing your files.

Dick M.

How do I use the cable adapter? Is this something needed to
connect the drive in the laptop to the connector in my tower?
Sue

>"Palindrome" wrote:
>
> Do you have access to another computer or a LAN? If so, you could put
> your Pressario hard disk into another machine as a secondary disk (using
> a 2.5" cable adapter) and see if you could copy off all your files. Or
> make a network-enabled boot floppy/CD (with NTFS reader software, if
> needed) and use that view and to transfer your files, using the network
> connection. Even if you don't have another machine or network, you could
> use the boot floppy to access your files and make copies on floppy.
> Sorry not to be familiar with the Pressario and the CDs that come with
> it. It would be well worth finding someone that is (Campaq web site
> technical support?) as there may easily be a way of getting the system
> restored without losing your files.

> Sue wrote:
>
> > The laptop is a Compaq Pressario 700. It is a couple of years old.
> > Starting yesterday, it fails to complete the boot up process. It has
> > power, when turned on the Compaq logo appears, then it starts to
> > boot up showing the Windows XP logo, then it goes to a screen
> > which says it did not boot up successfully and offers several options
> > to try including safe mode, last workable setup, normal windows
> > setup.Trying any option starts the windows logo and a partial
> > bootup, then it goes back to the Compaq logo, and then back to
> > the screen stating bootup was not complete. It just continues this
> > cycle. I have the CD's which will reformat windows, but I would like
> > to find a way to boot up short of losing all my files, especially
> > picture files. Is there a way?
> > Sue

Palindrome

Dick M. wrote:

> How do I use the cable adapter? Is this something needed to
> connect the drive in the laptop to the connector in my tower?
> Sue

Yep, the laptop drive needs a smaller connector with built-in power. The
cable adapter will connect between the laptop drive and a spare tower
IDE connector and power connector.