Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > 56K modem shows as disconnected even though it is connected.

56K modem shows as disconnected even though it is connected.

gumpy

I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
internet nor can I bring up properties.
Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
-(not good).
I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
sometimes but not always).

Gumpy

Palindrome

gumpy wrote:

> I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
> internet nor can I bring up properties.
> Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
> disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
> The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
> -(not good).
> I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
> sometimes but not always).
>

> Gumpy

Nothing wrong with switching off an external modem. It is quite an
effective way of dropping carrier detect. Another way is to unplug the
telephone lead - which also protects the modem and computer from
lightning strikes on the telephone wires.

Both connections? Which are? Is this XP? Not Broadband, I assume? All
your AV stuff up to date? Sure it is dialing your ISP and not a premium
rate number? Tried de-installing and re-installing the modem? Tried
deleting and recreating your dialup settings?

Scrote

gumpy wrote:
>> I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
>> internet nor can I bring up properties.
>> Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
>> disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
>> The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
>> -(not good).
>> I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I
>> do sometimes but not always).
>>

>> Gumpy

Got a friend who had this problem..dialer installed a premium rate
number = 200 bill
You need (courtesy of Mike)

Spybot S & D

http://spybot.eon.net.au/

Ad-Aware

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

Spywareblaster

I used to be indecisive but now, I'm not so sure.

Millimeter

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 01:02:24 +0100, Palindrome <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>gumpy wrote:
>
>> I don't know what I have done now but I cannot disconnect from the
>> internet nor can I bring up properties.
>> Accessories\communicationsznetwork etc shows both my connections as
>> disconnected despite my presently being half way through a download.
>> The only way I can disconnect at present is to sewitch off the modem
>> -(not good).
>> I seem to no longer get the little telly screens in my tray (well I do
>> sometimes but not always).
>>

>> Gumpy

>Nothing wrong with switching off an external modem. It is quite an
>effective way of dropping carrier detect. Another way is to unplug the
>telephone lead - which also protects the modem and computer from
>lightning strikes on the telephone wires.

Rude, but effective.
Disconnecting the proper way allows the modem on the other end to exit
gracefully.
Millimeter

>Both connections? Which are? Is this XP? Not Broadband, I assume? All
>your AV stuff up to date? Sure it is dialing your ISP and not a premium
>rate number? Tried de-installing and re-installing the modem? Tried
>deleting and recreating your dialup settings?

gumpy

Hi thanks for replying- regrettably my modem is a pig and when turned
off ;like that it has to be reinstalled and rebooted before it will
work again.
I have checked against premium lines but I am on BT surftime
(presently connected at 38.6 hahahahaha)!
Spybot turned up nothing as did Adaware.
I can only assume it is either a software or hardware problem.

System is XP
56k V92 Cirrus external (absolute pig)
Dial up not broadband.

anyone else for anymore?