Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > / character being displayed as W

/ character being displayed as W

Ryker

This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of remored
problems with that.
Apparently Korean langauge added to computer, then removed.
Now the "/" is displayed as an odd W, cannot find actual example under
fonts.This occurs in explorer as well as start>run>cmd> command prompt
When under advanced appearance is slected from display properties, only 2
fonts are displayed in the font window that are readable in english, rest
is korean?, japanese? chinese?
In the fonts page all seems to be available in english
In regional and Language options the setting was english canada and switched
to english us, no good

Any ideas?

hushia

"Ryker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:fWBcc.11629$(E-Mail Removed)...
> This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of remored
> problems with that.

Really? What kind of problems?

Palindrome

hushia wrote:

> "Ryker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:fWBcc.11629$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of remored
>>problems with that.

> Really? What kind of problems?

I think "rumoured" ones. Like if you install sp1, the W character comes
out as /

°Mike°

Would you run that by me again please, only this time
in English?

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 17:38:19 GMT, in
<fWBcc.11629$(E-Mail Removed)>
Ryker scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

PuddleNuts

Ryker wrote:

> This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of remored
> problems with that.
> Apparently Korean langauge added to computer, then removed.
> Now the "/" is displayed as an odd W, cannot find actual example under
> fonts.This occurs in explorer as well as start>run>cmd> command prompt
> When under advanced appearance is slected from display properties, only 2
> fonts are displayed in the font window that are readable in english, rest
> is korean?, japanese? chinese?
> In the fonts page all seems to be available in english
> In regional and Language options the setting was english canada and switched
> to english us, no good
>
> Any ideas?

/hat in the /orld are you talking about. I don't kno/ /hat the problem
could be. That is sooooo /eird!

--
Your proctologist called, they found your head.

Palindrome

PuddleNuts wrote:

> Ryker wrote:
>
>> This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of
>> remored
>> problems with that.
>> Apparently Korean langauge added to computer, then removed.
>> Now the "/" is displayed as an odd W, cannot find actual example under
>> fonts.This occurs in explorer as well as start>run>cmd> command prompt
>> When under advanced appearance is slected from display properties, only 2
>> fonts are displayed in the font window that are readable in english,
>> rest
>> is korean?, japanese? chinese?
>> In the fonts page all seems to be available in english
>> In regional and Language options the setting was english canada and
>> switched
>> to english us, no good
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>

> /hat in the /orld are you talking about. I don't kno/ /hat the problem
> could be. That is sooooo /eird!

rofl wfia

Pool Champ

"Ryker" wrote.....

> This is an odd one, Windows XP, not service packed yet, because of remored
> problems with that.
> Apparently Korean langauge added to computer, then removed.
> Now the "/" is displayed as an odd W, cannot find actual example under
> fonts.This occurs in explorer as well as start>run>cmd> command prompt
> When under advanced appearance is slected from display properties, only 2
> fonts are displayed in the font window that are readable in english, rest
> is korean?, japanese? chinese?
> In the fonts page all seems to be available in english
> In regional and Language options the setting was english canada and

switched
> to english us, no good
>
> Any ideas?

Check the toilet, could be w is having a slash.

Ryker

Thanks for all the laughs, I'll talk a little slower.

The problem is when you look at the monitor or print, the root or " \ "
character is displayed and printed as a "W with a horizonal line through
it".

Examples
A printer test page printout of printer drivers will show
c:WwindowsWsystem32WspoolWdrivers...
note- the W has a horizonal line through it

If you go to a command prompt you will see the same thing
C:WDocuments and SettingsWRyker
the " \ " character is displayed and printed as a "W with a horizontal line
through it".

XP has not had service patch 1 applied, dial up service only available, so
will be slow to install and is rumored to cause some grief.

Apparently a visiting Korean added Keyboard language support when he visited
and then removed it when he left.

Since then the problem with the "\ "started

In the Display Properties>Appearance tab>advanced appearance is selected ,
If you choose Item::Active Title Bar, the only fonts are displayed in the
font window is Tahoma and 1 other that are readable in English, the rest
are Korean I suspect but not sure.

In regional and Language options the setting was English - Canada . This was
changed to switched
to English - United States to no avail. It was then returned to
English-Canada.

In the fonts folder all fonts are in english and readable

Any ideas

hushia

"Ryker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:z8Jcc.12042$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for all the laughs <snip>

You're most welcome.

<knip>
> In regional and Language options the setting was English - Canada . This

was
> changed to switched > to English - United States to no avail. It was then

returned to
> English-Canada.

How about the Code page conversion tables?
When I've finished my soup I will try to find out what the heck those are..
But just for fun: what is selected for conversion tables at your Wuzzy-slash
comp?

Ryker

It appears that text services are the culprit

http://support.microsoft.com/default...3&ID=KB;EN-US;
Q306993&#4

thanks for the lead hushia

news:c50o33$4pi$(E-Mail Removed)...