Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Creating a batch to determine if HD is NTFS if not format it NTFS

Creating a batch to determine if HD is NTFS if not format it NTFS

Tech

G'day,

I was looking to create a batch file that I could put on a bootdisk that
would tell if the Hard drive was NTFS and if is wasn't would automatically
format it NTFS.
Thanks
Adam

PuddleNuts

Tech wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I was looking to create a batch file that I could put on a bootdisk that
> would tell if the Hard drive was NTFS and if is wasn't would automatically
> format it NTFS.
> Thanks
> Adam

Just run FDISK, if it's formatted in NTFS you may need to download
DELPART to remove NTFS partition information. Any worthwhile OS will
have these tools in the setup.

--
Your proctologist called, they found your head.

Palindrome

Tech wrote:

> G'day,
>
> I was looking to create a batch file that I could put on a bootdisk that
> would tell if the Hard drive was NTFS and if is wasn't would automatically
> format it NTFS.
> Thanks
> Adam

If you have a DOS batch file running on a boot disk, it won't be able to
open an NTFS volume. So the error level on dir c:/*.* should do. If you
want to be sure, get the error level like that and then run an NTFS DOS
reading utility and then dir c:/*.* again. If it is NTFS formatted, the
error level should change because the NTFS volume will then be readable.

Plato

Tech wrote:

> I was looking to create a batch file that I could put on a bootdisk that
> would tell if the Hard drive was NTFS and if is wasn't would automatically
> format it NTFS.

In order to format to ntfs, the partiton has to be setup in ntfs first.
I do not believe one can do this with a single bootdisk.

--
http://www.bootdisk.com/