Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Formatting Hard drive problem

Reply
Thread Tools

Formatting Hard drive problem

 
 
brent
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2004
I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
just fine.
Has anyone ran into this problem before?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
°Mike°
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2004
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed) >
brent scrawled:

>I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
>formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
>way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
>formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
>just fine.
> Has anyone ran into this problem before?


--
Basic computer maintenance
http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Alexander Rogge
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2004
> I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
> formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
> way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
> formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
> just fine.


I had a disk with this problem and found that although it seemed to work
except when trying to format it, there were some things wrong with the
system. Small pieces of data would be corrupted, enough to make Linux
reboot unexpectedly. Unlike when using Microsoft software, there is a
big problem when Linux starts rebooting like this. The old drive failed
a few weeks later, again showing why having a proper data backup is a
good thing.
 
Reply With Quote
 
Plato
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-06-2004
brent wrote:
>
> I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
> formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half


Sounds like there are problems with the hard drive or it's setup
incorrectly. Either one.


--
http://www.bootdisk.com/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jimmy Dean
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004
On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) (brent)
wrote:

>I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
>formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
>way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
>formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
>just fine.
> Has anyone ran into this problem before?


The HD may well be faulty. Do the tests you list above include a full
surface scan eg using scandisk C: /au /su ??

jd
 
Reply With Quote
 
biteme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004
Restart computer from the A: drive, with a OS boot disk. Then fdisk the hard
drive before formatting.
Good Luck!

"Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (brent)
> wrote:
>
> >I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
> >formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
> >way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
> >formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
> >just fine.
> > Has anyone ran into this problem before?

>
> The HD may well be faulty. Do the tests you list above include a full
> surface scan eg using scandisk C: /au /su ??
>
> jd




 
Reply With Quote
 
biteme
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004
depending on OS (win95 or win9 and size of drive, limitations. Info here:
http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm

"biteme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news3Vcc.888$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Restart computer from the A: drive, with a OS boot disk. Then fdisk the

hard
> drive before formatting.
> Good Luck!
>
> "Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (brent)
> > wrote:
> >
> > >I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
> > >formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
> > >way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
> > >formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
> > >just fine.
> > > Has anyone ran into this problem before?

> >
> > The HD may well be faulty. Do the tests you list above include a full
> > surface scan eg using scandisk C: /au /su ??
> >
> > jd

>
>
>




 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr. Harvie Wahl-Banghor
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      04-07-2004
Once upon a time, OK, it really happened on Wed, 7 Apr 2004 09:17:11
-0700, "biteme" <(E-Mail Removed)> claimed the following truncated
trash was the absolute, ****ing truth:

>depending on OS (win95 or win9 and size of drive, limitations. Info here:
>http://www.dewassoc.com/kbase/hard_d...e_barriers.htm


Depending on how old the BIOS is, there may be a limitation on how
large a hard drive the PC may be able to accomodate. You might want to
try a Dynamic Overlay provided by the hard drive manufacturer, such as
Disk Manager. It either came with the hard drive (assuming you bought
a retail version) or you can download it from the manufacturers web
site. Then again, if there is a BIOS update, you might be able to
update the BIOS. Be aware, however, if you somehow screw up the BIOS,
your computer will no longer function.

Dr Harvie Wahl-Banghor

>"biteme" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news3Vcc.888$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Restart computer from the A: drive, with a OS boot disk. Then fdisk the

>hard
>> drive before formatting.
>> Good Luck!
>>
>> "Jimmy Dean" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > On 5 Apr 2004 20:53:48 -0700, (E-Mail Removed) (brent)
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > >I can only formatt about half of my hard drive useing the regular
>> > >formatting option. Whenever I try my computer freezes up about half
>> > >way through and goes into never never land. It can be quick
>> > >formatted,scanned,check disk,partitioned and I can save files to it
>> > >just fine.
>> > > Has anyone ran into this problem before?
>> >
>> > The HD may well be faulty. Do the tests you list above include a full
>> > surface scan eg using scandisk C: /au /su ??
>> >
>> > jd

>>
>>
>>

>
>


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hard drive is Disk 0 CHANGES to hard drive is Disk 1??? And still works!!! Spin Computer Support 7 04-09-2008 09:04 PM
Change Master/Boot Hard Drive to Slave/Non boot Hard Drive & Visa Versa Steve808us@yahoo.com Computer Information 0 01-18-2005 01:57 PM
Help, Hard Drive hell......Hard drive not installing. Win98se Anthropy Computer Support 4 02-24-2004 08:54 PM
Moving Mozilla files from old hard drive to new hard drive Nate Firefox 1 02-21-2004 09:09 PM
Need formatting options menu for formatting hard drive Mark T. Computer Support 3 11-24-2003 11:50 PM



Advertisments