Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Update site

Update site

MrB

I stumbled accross the below site for updating Windows systems. Does anyone
know if these are clean files, untampered and not containing spyware, etc?
It is very conveniently laid out. If they are good files, I would like to
use the site. I'd appreciate anyone who has used them commenting.

http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/

░Mike░

Most of the "updates" just take you to a Microsoft
direct download, however, some lead to third
party links. Just use Windows Update.
Never, ever, download security updates from
anywhere other than Microsoft.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:08:11 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MrB scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

MrB

Mike, I agree. That is good advice. Unfortunately, I work in an environment
where Windows Update is blocked. It is a military network that is very
paranoid. Therefore, it is difficult to update computers. Sometimes they
push updates, but more often than not, they screw it up. Also, I work on a
lot of computers that are not going to be on the network, but am restricted
anyway. That's why I found that site so attractive.

"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Most of the "updates" just take you to a Microsoft
> direct download, however, some lead to third
> party links. Just use Windows Update.
> Never, ever, download security updates from
> anywhere other than Microsoft.
>

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:08:11 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> MrB scrawled:
>
> >I stumbled accross the below site for updating Windows systems. Does

anyone
> >know if these are clean files, untampered and not containing spyware,

etc?
> >It is very conveniently laid out. If they are good files, I would like to
> >use the site. I'd appreciate anyone who has used them commenting.
> >
> >http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

░Mike░

It doesn't make sense to me, that they are paranoid
about Windows Update, and yet pages such as that
one are not blocked. Weird!

Anyhow, why don't you send for the free Security CD?
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:19 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
MrB scrawled:

>Mike, I agree. That is good advice. Unfortunately, I work in an environment
>where Windows Update is blocked. It is a military network that is very
>paranoid. Therefore, it is difficult to update computers. Sometimes they
>push updates, but more often than not, they screw it up. Also, I work on a
>lot of computers that are not going to be on the network, but am restricted
>anyway. That's why I found that site so attractive.
>

>"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> Most of the "updates" just take you to a Microsoft
>> direct download, however, some lead to third
>> party links. Just use Windows Update.
>> Never, ever, download security updates from
>> anywhere other than Microsoft.
>>

>> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:08:11 -0700, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> MrB scrawled:
>>
>> >I stumbled accross the below site for updating Windows systems. Does

>anyone
>> >know if these are clean files, untampered and not containing spyware,

>etc?
>> >It is very conveniently laid out. If they are good files, I would like to
>> >use the site. I'd appreciate anyone who has used them commenting.
>> >
>> >http://www.softwarepatch.com/windows/
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

MrB

Mike, agreed, it doesn't make sense. They are in the process of turning the
network over to a civilian agency (NMCI). One day the Internet will be
great, the next, you can't get into Google. The Internet has been really
messed up for the last couple of weeks as we near turnover. Also, I HAVE
sent for the Security CD. In fact, I ordered it twice. I have twice been
notified that it has been shipped and twice, it has not arrived. The
shipping address is correct. I don't know why it isn't getting here. I also
ordered the free Office 2k disk and it arrived as promised.

Thanks

> It doesn't make sense to me, that they are paranoid
> about Windows Update, and yet pages such as that
> one are not blocked. Weird!
>
> Anyhow, why don't you send for the free Security CD?
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
>

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:19 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> MrB scrawled:
>
> >Mike, I agree. That is good advice. Unfortunately, I work in an

environment
> >where Windows Update is blocked. It is a military network that is very
> >paranoid. Therefore, it is difficult to update computers. Sometimes they
> >push updates, but more often than not, they screw it up. Also, I work on

> >lot of computers that are not going to be on the network, but am

restricted
> >anyway. That's why I found that site so attractive.
> >

> >"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> Most of the "updates" just take you to a Microsoft
> >> direct download, however, some lead to third
> >> party links. Just use Windows Update.
> >> Never, ever, download security updates from
> >> anywhere other than Microsoft.
> >>

> >> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:08:11 -0700, in
> >> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> >> MrB scrawled:

> >anyone

> >etc?

> >> --
> >> Basic computer maintenance

> Basic computer maintenance

Toolman Tim

The guys in the mail room are stealing disks again? :-■

Kidding aside, have them mail it to your home address instead...I got mine
in less than two weeks.

T.T.

"MrB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mike, agreed, it doesn't make sense. They are in the process of turning

the
> network over to a civilian agency (NMCI). One day the Internet will be
> great, the next, you can't get into Google. The Internet has been really
> messed up for the last couple of weeks as we near turnover. Also, I HAVE
> sent for the Security CD. In fact, I ordered it twice. I have twice been
> notified that it has been shipped and twice, it has not arrived. The
> shipping address is correct. I don't know why it isn't getting here. I

also
> ordered the free Office 2k disk and it arrived as promised.
>
> Thanks
>
> "░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > It doesn't make sense to me, that they are paranoid
> > about Windows Update, and yet pages such as that
> > one are not blocked. Weird!
> >
> > Anyhow, why don't you send for the free Security CD?
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
> >

> > On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:19 -0700, in
> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > MrB scrawled:
> >
> > >Mike, I agree. That is good advice. Unfortunately, I work in an

> environment
> > >where Windows Update is blocked. It is a military network that is very
> > >paranoid. Therefore, it is difficult to update computers. Sometimes

they
> > >push updates, but more often than not, they screw it up. Also, I work

on
> > >lot of computers that are not going to be on the network, but am

> restricted
> > >anyway. That's why I found that site so attractive.
> > >

> > >"░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> > >anyone

spyware,
> > >etc?

like

> > --
> > Basic computer maintenance

░Mike░

Same here; I got mine PDQ.

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:43:19 -0700, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Toolman Tim scrawled:

>The guys in the mail room are stealing disks again? :-■
>
>Kidding aside, have them mail it to your home address instead...I got mine
>in less than two weeks.
>
>T.T.
>

>"MrB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mike, agreed, it doesn't make sense. They are in the process of turning

>the
>> network over to a civilian agency (NMCI). One day the Internet will be
>> great, the next, you can't get into Google. The Internet has been really
>> messed up for the last couple of weeks as we near turnover. Also, I HAVE
>> sent for the Security CD. In fact, I ordered it twice. I have twice been
>> notified that it has been shipped and twice, it has not arrived. The
>> shipping address is correct. I don't know why it isn't getting here. I

>also
>> ordered the free Office 2k disk and it arrived as promised.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> "░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > It doesn't make sense to me, that they are paranoid
>> > about Windows Update, and yet pages such as that
>> > one are not blocked. Weird!
>> >
>> > Anyhow, why don't you send for the free Security CD?
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
>> >

>> > On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:19 -0700, in
>> > <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> > MrB scrawled:

>> environment

>they

>on

>> restricted

>spyware,

>like

>> > --
>> > Basic computer maintenance
>> > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

--
Basic computer maintenance

MrB

Kidding aside, I used my home address.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> The guys in the mail room are stealing disks again? :-■
>
> Kidding aside, have them mail it to your home address instead...I got mine
> in less than two weeks.
>
> T.T.
>

> "MrB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Mike, agreed, it doesn't make sense. They are in the process of turning

> the
> > network over to a civilian agency (NMCI). One day the Internet will be
> > great, the next, you can't get into Google. The Internet has been really
> > messed up for the last couple of weeks as we near turnover. Also, I HAVE
> > sent for the Security CD. In fact, I ordered it twice. I have twice been
> > notified that it has been shipped and twice, it has not arrived. The
> > shipping address is correct. I don't know why it isn't getting here. I

> also
> > ordered the free Office 2k disk and it arrived as promised.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > "░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > It doesn't make sense to me, that they are paranoid
> > > about Windows Update, and yet pages such as that
> > > one are not blocked. Weird!
> > >
> > > Anyhow, why don't you send for the free Security CD?
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/cd/order.asp
> > >

> > > On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 17:57:19 -0700, in
> > > <(E-Mail Removed)>
> > > MrB scrawled:

> > environment

very

> they

> on

> > restricted

Does

> spyware,

> like

> > > --
> > > Basic computer maintenance
> > > http://uk.geocities.com/personel44/maintenance.html

MrB

What the h...?

> Same here; I got mine PDQ.
>

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:43:19 -0700, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Toolman Tim scrawled:
>
> >The guys in the mail room are stealing disks again? :-■
> >
> >Kidding aside, have them mail it to your home address instead...I got

mine
> >in less than two weeks.
> >
> >T.T.
> >

> >"MrB" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Mike, agreed, it doesn't make sense. They are in the process of turning

> >the
> >> network over to a civilian agency (NMCI). One day the Internet will be
> >> great, the next, you can't get into Google. The Internet has been

really
> >> messed up for the last couple of weeks as we near turnover. Also, I

HAVE
> >> sent for the Security CD. In fact, I ordered it twice. I have twice

been
> >> notified that it has been shipped and twice, it has not arrived. The
> >> shipping address is correct. I don't know why it isn't getting here. I

> >also
> >> ordered the free Office 2k disk and it arrived as promised.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >>
> >> "░Mike░" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

> >> environment

very

> >they

work
> >on
> >> restricted

Does

> >spyware,

> >like

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Franklin

Not me , They said they mailed it, but nothing. Is that a good thing?