Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Password problem

Password problem

Dennis Blackwell

I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
another hard drive that I can do.

°Mike°

I'm guessing that you're talking about a BIOS password?
One has to wonder how a "friend's young daughter" can
"accidentally" set a BIOS password.

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
Dennis Blackwell scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Unk

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, Dennis Blackwell <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
>daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
>said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
>password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
>to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
>another hard drive that I can do.

It sounds like she set a BIOS password, not a Windows password.

Unplug the computer and remove the cover.
Near the CMOS battery on the motherboard is a jumper covering two of three
pins. Move the jumper so it covers the exposed pin. Wait a few secs. and
move it back to where it was. That will reset the BIOS to the default
settings. If the jumper block is missing, remove the battery for 10
minutes.

Palindrome

Dennis Blackwell wrote:

> I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
> daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
> said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
> password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
> to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
> another hard drive that I can do.

If it asks for a password as soon as it starts up, then this is a BIOS
password. Changing the hard drive will not help.

You need to reset the BIOS password. Normally that is done (not on a
laptop) by opening the case and moving a jumper plug on the motherboard
from one position to another and then back again. On a laptop, it
sometimes involves removing a small battery and then replacing it.

A desktop computer can easily have a dozen or more jumper plugs and
moving the wrong one can be/will be terminal. Where did you get the
computer and what make/model is it?

Dave

Dennis,

In order to process your request we need your credit card information, your
expiration date, your Card Security numbers and of course the name on your
Card.

Thanks Dave

Googled Servcices

"Dennis Blackwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
> daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
> said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
> password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
> to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
> another hard drive that I can do.

pcbutts1

If it will boot from a floppy then temporarily disable your antivirus and
download Kill Cmos from here
http://pcmedicdirect.com/downloads/U...r/Kill%20Cmos/
save it to a floppy boot to it and run it.

"Dennis Blackwell" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
> daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
> said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
> password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
> to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
> another hard drive that I can do.

Billh

I agree that had to be some accident!

> I'm guessing that you're talking about a BIOS password?
> One has to wonder how a "friend's young daughter" can
> "accidentally" set a BIOS password.
>

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Dennis Blackwell scrawled:
>
> >I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
> >daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
> >said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
> >password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
> >to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
> >another hard drive that I can do.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

Juan Pérez

The "friend's young daughter", if exist, could be between ages 19 and 27
and capable of farking around in the BIOS...AND just right for me, even
!! )

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> I'm guessing that you're talking about a BIOS password?
> One has to wonder how a "friend's young daughter" can
> "accidentally" set a BIOS password.
>

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, in
> <(E-Mail Removed)>
> Dennis Blackwell scrawled:
>
> >I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
> >daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it

and
> >said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for

> >password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it

starts
> >to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
> >another hard drive that I can do.

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

DOWN, BOY, DOWN!! )

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:13:38 GMT, in
<S7qcc.11648$(E-Mail Removed). net>
Juan Pérez scrawled:

>The "friend's young daughter", if exist, could be between ages 19 and 27
>and capable of farking around in the BIOS...AND just right for me, even
>!! )
>
>°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> I'm guessing that you're talking about a BIOS password?
>> One has to wonder how a "friend's young daughter" can
>> "accidentally" set a BIOS password.
>>

>> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, in
>> <(E-Mail Removed)>
>> Dennis Blackwell scrawled:
>>
>> >I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
>> >daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it

>and
>> >said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for

>> >password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it

>starts
>> >to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
>> >another hard drive that I can do.

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Dennis Blackwell

Don't know that answer, but is there an answer to my question?