Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Hey, Please help, unusual problem with our email system.

Hey, Please help, unusual problem with our email system.

md

Hi. Beginning on Friday, we had the strangest problem arise ...
We have a small office with about 8 PC computers. We are hooked in to the
internet thru our partial T1 line, and emails go out thru our ISP's smtp
server and emails come in thru our webhosting company (also mailhosting
company)'s email server.

Using Outlook and Outlook Express we can each send and receive emails (as
it should be) BUT we can't send and receive to OURSELVES. This is NOT an
internal email system, we send out thru our ISP even emails to ourselves.
HERE IS THE SYNOPSIS:
1. We can send and receive mail to/from anyone EXCEPT ourselves.
2. We can send to ourselves thru a Yahoo or other outside or otherwise
routed mail.
3. There is no error message, if we send an email to another person with
our name.com, it just doesnt get there.
4. I can send it to myself and others internally from my HOME computer
which uses a different ISP, (i.e., different SMTP server out)

WHAT COULD THIS BE?

COINCIDENCE OR WHAT???/The only thing that happened during the time it
stopped working was that I
set up a network printer connection (with a HP JetDirect network address) on
someone's new PC running XP. I cannot imagine why that would interfere as
we pulled up an IP address for the printer but that should have nothing to
do with the email system. Further, I turned off that computer and the
printer but Still no emails. Where are they going? We also shut down the
whole network
and I turned off our hub/routers and then fired everything on. No help.

MY webhost company, which also hosts our email server says they think this
is a
problem where my ISP's router (outgoing SMTP) can't 'speak' to their
particular router somewhere on the net. But can speak to most/all others.
He said this problem should fix in hours to days. But it hasn't after 3
days.

ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. (pls understand we know little about how this stuff
works, so use small words). Could it be some weird errant printer setup?

THANKS.

mark

info (at) kramden.net

pcbutts1

Your email host ISP should have a web based email portal have you checked
there to see if any of the messages are on the server? Has anyone on your
network gotten a virus recently?

"md" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi. Beginning on Friday, we had the strangest problem arise ...
> We have a small office with about 8 PC computers. We are hooked in to the
> internet thru our partial T1 line, and emails go out thru our ISP's smtp
> server and emails come in thru our webhosting company (also mailhosting
> company)'s email server.
>
> Using Outlook and Outlook Express we can each send and receive emails (as
> it should be) BUT we can't send and receive to OURSELVES. This is NOT an
> internal email system, we send out thru our ISP even emails to ourselves.
> HERE IS THE SYNOPSIS:
> 1. We can send and receive mail to/from anyone EXCEPT ourselves.
> 2. We can send to ourselves thru a Yahoo or other outside or otherwise
> routed mail.
> 3. There is no error message, if we send an email to another person with
> our name.com, it just doesnt get there.
> 4. I can send it to myself and others internally from my HOME computer
> which uses a different ISP, (i.e., different SMTP server out)
>
> WHAT COULD THIS BE?
>
> COINCIDENCE OR WHAT???/The only thing that happened during the time it
> stopped working was that I
> set up a network printer connection (with a HP JetDirect network address)

on
> someone's new PC running XP. I cannot imagine why that would interfere as
> we pulled up an IP address for the printer but that should have nothing to
> do with the email system. Further, I turned off that computer and the
> printer but Still no emails. Where are they going? We also shut down the
> whole network
> and I turned off our hub/routers and then fired everything on. No help.
>
> MY webhost company, which also hosts our email server says they think this
> is a
> problem where my ISP's router (outgoing SMTP) can't 'speak' to their
> particular router somewhere on the net. But can speak to most/all others.
> He said this problem should fix in hours to days. But it hasn't after 3
> days.
>
> ANY SUGGESTIONS WELCOME. (pls understand we know little about how this

stuff
> works, so use small words). Could it be some weird errant printer setup?
>
> THANKS.
>
> mark
>
> info (at) kramden.net

JabberSmith

Have your host check to verify the MX record lookup occuring on the SMTP
server you are using is going the right place. To do that, they'll have to
use a resolver on the server itself to find out what the MX comes back as,
if it is correctly pointing to your web host or not.

Also use this site here: www.dnsreport.com to put in your domain to see
where MX goes for the outside world, that's where it should go for your SMTP
server too.

It sounds a lot like the ISP does your DNS too, and put in more information
in DNS than they should have, mainly, they probably put THEIR email server
in there instead of the one of your web hosting provider. So emails sent to
yourself stay on that SMTP server instead of going out as they should.