Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > What is the best email program for handling large amounts of incoming mail that needs to be filtered?

What is the best email program for handling large amounts of incoming mail that needs to be filtered?

C. B.

I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
slow.
I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages. Despite
it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program that is
way to slow for my needs.

Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?

Thanks

Juan Pérez

The mail client is not causing the downloads to be slow. You need a
broadband connection to get the speed you seem to require/want. (and who
doesn't?)

C. B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
> slow.
> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages.

Despite
> it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program that

is
> way to slow for my needs.
>
> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>
> Thanks

CB

On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 05:34:44 GMT, "Juan Pérez" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>The mail client is not causing the downloads to be slow. You need a
>broadband connection to get the speed you seem to require/want. (and who
>doesn't?)
>

>C. B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
>> slow.
>> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages.

>Despite
>> it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program that

>is
>> way to slow for my needs.
>>
>> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>>
>> Thanks

Well, I have a 2Mb download speed now. So I don't believe that is the
problem. Outlook Express will download the same amountof mail in 1/3rd
the time. I'm talking about 500 to 1000 pieces of email every four
hours or so.

Juan Pérez

CB astounded everyone with this:
> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 05:34:44 GMT, "Juan Pérez" wrote:
>
>> The mail client is not causing the downloads to be slow. You need a
>> broadband connection to get the speed you seem to require/want. (and
>> who doesn't?)
>>

>> C. B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
>>> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
>>> slow.
>>> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages.
>>> Despite it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email
>>> program that is way to slow for my needs.
>>>
>>> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>>>
>>> Thanks

> Well, I have a 2Mb download speed now. So I don't believe that is the
> problem. Outlook Express will download the same amountof mail in 1/3rd
> the time. I'm talking about 500 to 1000 pieces of email every four
> hours or so.

In that case, my answer was lame, but I still wonder how your email
client can call the shots on speed. I'd be quicker to suspect the IP
were to blame. OE sounds good for now.

Palindrome

C. B. wrote:
> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
> slow.
> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages. Despite
> it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program that is
> way to slow for my needs.
>
> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>
> Thanks

Eudora should be faster in collecting from multiple accounts.

Or use a local mail server, eg Office Mail, to collect in the background
and then use whatever client you wish to get it from there. It will be
fast..very fast. I use this method where I can't preview successfully
(see below).

Assuming that the majority of your emails are junk, why not use Magic
Mail Monitor, or equivalent, to preview them and delete the junk, doing
us all a favour?

philo

"C. B." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just to
> slow.
> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages. Despite
> it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program that is
> way to slow for my needs.
>
> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>
> Thanks

I use Mail Washer
you may view the messages and delete right on the server
without having to download anything first!

°Mike°

Magic Mail Monitor to view/delete messages straight
from the server.
http://mmm3.sourceforge.net/

The Bat!
http://www.ritlabs.com/en/products/thebat/

On Sun, 4 Apr 2004 23:28:42 -0500, in
<(E-Mail Removed)>
C. B. scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

Boomer

CB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news(E-Mail Removed):

> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 05:34:44 GMT, "Juan Pérez"
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>>The mail client is not causing the downloads to be slow. You need
>>a broadband connection to get the speed you seem to require/want.
>>(and who doesn't?)
>>

>>C. B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> I have tried using Eudora 6.0 for a few days now, but it is just
>>> to slow.
>>> I took me over three hours to download 1200 something messages.

>>Despite
>>> it being version 6.0 and supposedly being a great email program
>>> that

>>is
>>> way to slow for my needs.
>>>
>>> Is there anything around that is much faster and yet stable?
>>>
>>> Thanks

> Well, I have a 2Mb download speed now. So I don't believe that is
> the problem. Outlook Express will download the same amountof mail
> in 1/3rd the time. I'm talking about 500 to 1000 pieces of email
> every four hours or so.

Of course... Clyde Lee Benson. Fan mail?

°Mike°

On 06 Apr 2004 01:24:23 GMT, in
<407206c6$0$173$(E-Mail Removed). net>
Boomer scrawled:

>CB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>news(E-Mail Removed) :
>
>> On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 05:34:44 GMT, "Juan Pérez"
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>>The mail client is not causing the downloads to be slow. You need
>>>a broadband connection to get the speed you seem to require/want.
>>>(and who doesn't?)
>>>

>>>C. B. <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>>news:(E-Mail Removed) t...
>>>Despite
>>>is

>> Well, I have a 2Mb download speed now. So I don't believe that is
>> the problem. Outlook Express will download the same amountof mail
>> in 1/3rd the time. I'm talking about 500 to 1000 pieces of email
>> every four hours or so.
>>

>Of course... Clyde Lee Benson. Fan mail?

AIIIEEEEEEEEEE! I missed that! Well spotted, Boomer.

--
<HCFTH>

Boomer

°Mike° <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in news:407b0b82.7184156@localhost:

> On 06 Apr 2004 01:24:23 GMT, in
> <407206c6$0$173$(E-Mail Removed). net>
> Boomer scrawled:
>
>>CB <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>news(E-Mail Removed) m:

>>> Well, I have a 2Mb download speed now. So I don't believe that is
>>> the problem. Outlook Express will download the same amountof mail
>>> in 1/3rd the time. I'm talking about 500 to 1000 pieces of email
>>> every four hours or so.
>>>

>>Of course... Clyde Lee Benson. Fan mail?

> AIIIEEEEEEEEEE! I missed that! Well spotted, Boomer.

Some posts just smell bad. This happened to be one.