Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > New harddrive?

New harddrive?

Bodysnatcher

Hi.
Going to add a 80g HDD to my system, which at the moment has a 15g HDD,
CD-Rewriter and a DVD-rewriter.
Want sequence should i use that will provide the best.
IDE 1 = Both HDD
IDE 2 = Both Roms
or One HDD and one rom on each ribbon?
Cheers

--
www.a1poolandleisure.co.uk

Sultan

Bodysnatcher wrote in news:c4q4h0$n8u$(E-Mail Removed):

> Hi.
> Going to add a 80g HDD to my system, which at the moment has a 15g HDD,
> CD-Rewriter and a DVD-rewriter.
> Want sequence should i use that will provide the best.
> IDE 1 = Both HDD
> IDE 2 = Both Roms
> or One HDD and one rom on each ribbon?
> Cheers

I'd go with your original plan:
IDE 1 = Both HDD
IDE 2 = Both Roms

Sultan

Lex

This situation has been discussed many times. I think the general consensus
would be, as above, 2 hdd on primary, 2 optical on secondary. The main
things to consider are that if you place an optical and hdd on the same
channel, the optical is probably going to slow down the transfer speed of
the hdd as it will go at the slower device's transfer speed. Where as if you
have 2 hdd's on the same channel you have to think if the channel will have
enough bandwith to not effect drive speeds, which has basicly been decided
is not going to much of a problem, probably negligble at worst

Hope was of some help

Lex

"Sultan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns94C1C2B0657C5sultanofcyberhotmail@216.65.9 8.77...
> Bodysnatcher wrote in news:c4q4h0$n8u$(E-Mail Removed):
>
> > Hi.
> > Going to add a 80g HDD to my system, which at the moment has a 15g HDD,
> > CD-Rewriter and a DVD-rewriter.
> > Want sequence should i use that will provide the best.
> > IDE 1 = Both HDD
> > IDE 2 = Both Roms
> > or One HDD and one rom on each ribbon?
> > Cheers
> >

> I'd go with your original plan:
> IDE 1 = Both HDD
> IDE 2 = Both Roms
>
> Sultan

Smiley

one on each ribbon mine

reason two choices for partitions
channel 1 holds 3gig C then partion ballance as you need

channel 2 holds 1 gig D swap file put it an seperate drive first
partition for speed and performance
ballance I would use for back up arkives

This would put new large drive on channel 1
keep programs and data off of C. I use tweakUI for this

--
Please note: To avoid spam, all email to my Hotmail address (above) is automatically trashed. If you wish to send me an email, kindly say so in a post, before attempting to send the mail. I will notify you by a private email to which we can respond to.