Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > NEED HELP! Win XP Prog are opeing in Notepad

NEED HELP! Win XP Prog are opeing in Notepad

chris

Must have gotten a flu from the Net, @ first I was trying to open Media
Player from a short cut on my desktop. Noticed everytime I tried a little
icon popped up by my clock I could not click on it but placing the mouse
over it says -100 then it goes away after about 5 sec...So I went into the
properties of the shortcut & had it open with Notepad just to see what would
happen. Now all of my shortcuts & most prog open with notepad. Even when I
go into my programs & select word it open in Notepad. When the computer
comes up the programs that load on the systray are coming up in notepad just
with wording that you can't understand. I can use the PC as far as
connecting to the internet I can click on IE from my desktop & my computer.
It just seems like its happening to certain programs.. I can close the
notepad windows when windows loads but can't seem to resolve this issue & I
don't have restore running

HELP !

chris

One more thing..Just downloaded Spybot & saved to my desktop..Clicked on
prog & up comes notepad

"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Jlnbc.31703$(E-Mail Removed). com...
> Must have gotten a flu from the Net, @ first I was trying to open Media
> Player from a short cut on my desktop. Noticed everytime I tried a little
> icon popped up by my clock I could not click on it but placing the mouse
> over it says -100 then it goes away after about 5 sec...So I went into the
> properties of the shortcut & had it open with Notepad just to see what

would
> happen. Now all of my shortcuts & most prog open with notepad. Even when I
> go into my programs & select word it open in Notepad. When the computer
> comes up the programs that load on the systray are coming up in notepad

just
> with wording that you can't understand. I can use the PC as far as
> connecting to the internet I can click on IE from my desktop & my

computer.
> It just seems like its happening to certain programs.. I can close the
> notepad windows when windows loads but can't seem to resolve this issue &

> don't have restore running
>
> HELP !

chris

Even tried to download & select open & not save & still it open in
Notepad...Here is what the File location says for the Spybot prog I just
downloaded that now opens in Notepad

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-SZ6X6SEFXO\Desktop

news:3snbc.31708$(E-Mail Removed). com...

&
> > don't have restore running
> >
> > HELP !

Mike

Try this first. Go to your Windows folder and rename
Notepad.exe to Notepad.com. Double click on Notepad.com
and copy/paste the following into Notepad. Note that
everything between [ and ] MUST be one line only, and
there must be a blank line at the end of the file. Save
the file as "exe-fix.reg" (without the quotes) and right
click and 'Merge' the file into your registry. This is to
fix the executable file association in the registry.
Rename Notepad.com back to Notepad.exe .

***** <--- Omit this line
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe]
@="exefile"
"Content Type"="application/x-msdownload"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe\PersistentHandler]
@="{098f2470-bae0-11cd-b579-08002b30bfeb}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile]
@="Application"
"EditFlags"=hex:38,07,00,00
"TileInfo"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersi on"
"InfoTip"="prop:FileDescription;Company;FileVersio n;Create;Size"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\DefaultIcon]
@="%1"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open]
"EditFlags"=hex:00,00,00,00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\runas\command]
@="\"%1\" %*"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\ContextMenuHandl ers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
@="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\PifProps]
@="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\ShimLayer
Property Page]
@="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"

***** <--- Omit this line

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:37:51 GMT, in
<zHnbc.31712$(E-Mail Removed) >
chris scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

chris

Thanks for the reply,

I tried it & when you say everything must be on one line I take it you mean
each reg entry must have be on it own line & not all together I copied that
into notepad saved it then merged but still when I click on an Icon I get
Crap like this

MZP    @  Inno-7 h
!L!This program must be run under Win32
$7
PE L ^B*  P ~  @
?    @     ^ P $
0  CODE P
 `DATA   @ BSS ~
.idata ^   @ .tls
"

Mike" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> [...]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\ShimLayer
> Property Page]
> @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"
>

> ***** <--- Omit this line
>

> On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:37:51 GMT, in
> <zHnbc.31712$(E-Mail Removed) >
> chris scrawled:
>
> >Even tried to download & select open & not save & still it open in
> >Notepad...Here is what the File location says for the Spybot prog I just
> >downloaded that now opens in Notepad
> >
> >C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-SZ6X6SEFXO\Desktop
> >

> >"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >news:3snbc.31708$(E-Mail Removed) .com...
> >> One more thing..Just downloaded Spybot & saved to my desktop..Clicked

on
> >> prog & up comes notepad
> >>

> >> "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:Jlnbc.31703$(E-Mail Removed). com...

Copy and paste and make sure that ANY lines
that begin with a square bracket [ and end in
a square bracket ] are ONE LINE ONLY. All
other lines should be copied EXACTLY.

Do NOT include ***** <--- Omit this line .

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 01:08:16 GMT, in
<48obc.31722$(E-Mail Removed) m>
chris scrawled:

  @  Inno-7 h

>!

L!??This program must be run under Win32
>$7
>PE L

 ^B* ??

 P ~  @

>?

 @
^ P
$
>0

 CODE P

 @ .tls

> [...]
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\DropHandler]
>> @="{86C86720-42A0-1069-A2E8-08002B30309D}"
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers]
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\PifProps]
>> @="{86F19A00-42A0-1069-A2E9-08002B30309D}"
>>
>> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shellex\PropertySheetHan dlers\ShimLayer
>> Property Page]
>> @="{513D916F-2A8E-4F51-AEAB-0CBC76FB1AF8}"
>>

>> ***** <--- Omit this line
>>

>> On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:37:51 GMT, in
>> <zHnbc.31712$(E-Mail Removed) >
>> chris scrawled:
>>
>> >Even tried to download & select open & not save & still it open in
>> >Notepad...Here is what the File location says for the Spybot prog I just
>> >downloaded that now opens in Notepad
>> >
>> >C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.YOUR-SZ6X6SEFXO\Desktop
>> >

>> >"chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> >news:3snbc.31708$(E-Mail Removed) .com...

Unk

Reassociate shortcut links.
See: LNK (Shortcut) File Association Fix (Restores Default Shortcut
Behavior)

See: EXE File Association Fix (Restore default association for EXE files)

On Sat, 03 Apr 2004 00:14:33 GMT, "chris" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Must have gotten a flu from the Net, @ first I was trying to open Media
>Player from a short cut on my desktop. Noticed everytime I tried a little
>icon popped up by my clock I could not click on it but placing the mouse
>over it says -100 then it goes away after about 5 sec...So I went into the
>properties of the shortcut & had it open with Notepad just to see what would
>happen. Now all of my shortcuts & most prog open with notepad. Even when I
>go into my programs & select word it open in Notepad. When the computer
>comes up the programs that load on the systray are coming up in notepad just
>with wording that you can't understand. I can use the PC as far as
>connecting to the internet I can click on IE from my desktop & my computer.
>It just seems like its happening to certain programs.. I can close the
>notepad windows when windows loads but can't seem to resolve this issue & I
>don't have restore running
>
>HELP !

chris

Switched user's & everything works using my wife's account...Any Ideas how
to fix mine

news:(E-Mail Removed)...