Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Restrictions on Internet Options

Restrictions on Internet Options

John Williams

Hi

In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-

This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on this
computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
administrator as this is a home machine.

I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.

Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6

TIA
John

°Mike°

Ten-to-one says you have SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster
installed, and the IE control panel disabled in the options.

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, in
<q4mbc.48$hy.44@newsfe1-win>
John Williams scrawled:

--
Basic computer maintenance

John Williams

I do have both of those on my PC, but the only thing I could find was a
setting to "disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet Tools
Control Panel"
I unticked this, but it made no difference.

> Ten-to-one says you have SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster
> installed, and the IE control panel disabled in the options.
>

> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, in
> <q4mbc.48$hy.44@newsfe1-win>
> John Williams scrawled:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
> >
> >This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on this
> >computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
> >administrator as this is a home machine.
> >
> >I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
> >
> >Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
> >
> >TIA
> >John
> >

> --
> Basic computer maintenance

ICee

John Williams wrote:
> I do have both of those on my PC, but the only thing I could find was
> a setting to "disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet
> Tools Control Panel"
> I unticked this, but it made no difference.

Spybot S&D: Immunize, uncheck "Lock IE control panel against opening
from within IE (current user)"

>> Ten-to-one says you have SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster
>> installed, and the IE control panel disabled in the options.
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, in
>> <q4mbc.48$hy.44@newsfe1-win>
>> John Williams scrawled:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
>>>
>>> This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on
>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
>>> administrator as this is a home machine.
>>>
>>> I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
>>>
>>> Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> John
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Patrick

John Williams wrote:
> I do have both of those on my PC, but the only thing I could find was
> a setting to "disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet
> Tools Control Panel"
> I unticked this, but it made no difference.

Open 'Spybot S&D', click on 'Immunize'
At the bootom there are three tick-boxes, make sure second one is unticked.

I have a new version of 'SpywareBlaster' so don't know where likewise option
is.

>> Ten-to-one says you have SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster
>> installed, and the IE control panel disabled in the options.
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, in
>> <q4mbc.48$hy.44@newsfe1-win>
>> John Williams scrawled:
>>
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
>>>
>>> This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on
>>> this computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
>>> administrator as this is a home machine.
>>>
>>> I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
>>>
>>> Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> John
>>>

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

°Mike°

You have to close IE and reopen it. If that doesn't help,
reboot.

On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 00:07:38 +0100, in
<dnmbc.3858$4N3.1783@newsfe1-win>
John Williams scrawled:

>I do have both of those on my PC, but the only thing I could find was a
>setting to "disable the IE Home Page settings area in the Internet Tools
>Control Panel"
>I unticked this, but it made no difference.

>> Ten-to-one says you have SpyBot S&D or SpywareBlaster
>> installed, and the IE control panel disabled in the options.
>>

>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, in
>> <q4mbc.48$hy.44@newsfe1-win>
>> John Williams scrawled:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
>> >
>> >This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on this
>> >computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
>> >administrator as this is a home machine.
>> >
>> >I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
>> >
>> >Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
>> >
>> >TIA
>> >John
>> >

>> --
>> Basic computer maintenance

Basic computer maintenance

Professor

I have the same problem and it was cause by a website taking over my
homepage. If your's is the same as my problem you most likely cannot change
your homepage. I couldn't figure out the answer as Sypbot did not get rid
of it so I swithched to Opera as my default browser but would also like the
solution.
"John Williams" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> Hi
>
> In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
>
> This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on this
> computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
> administrator as this is a home machine.
>
> I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
>
> Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
>
> TIA
> John

Millimeter

On Fri, 2 Apr 2004 23:47:27 +0100, "John Williams"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi
>
>In IE, I click Tools / Internet Options and get an error message:-
>
>This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effort on this
>computer. Please contact your system administrator. There is no
>administrator as this is a home machine.
>
>I can however get access to the Option via Control Panel.
>
>Platform: XP Pro, IE version 6
>
>TIA
>John

Hi John,

Try here
http://support.microsoft.com/default...;EN-US;Q310049

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=216583

or perhaps you have some policy in effect. I believe the defaule
account created for a home install of XP is an admin account.

Millimeter

John Williams

That's the one. Thanks to all who replied.
I never cease to keep learning
John

news:(E-Mail Removed)...