Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Swapping WinXP pro hard drives.

Swapping WinXP pro hard drives.

whenindoubt

Hi All,
Dumb question of the day #2

I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the best way
to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without having to re-install
and re-configue everything? Can I just do a full XP backup to the "d" drive.
Swap out the "c" drive with the new one and then do a full restore from the
backup? How much *pain* am I in for?

TIA

hushia

You should make an image, not a backup of the systemdisk.
Then replace it and restore the image on the new disk.
And don't worry, if things go wrong you still have the original disk you can
put back.

"whenindoubt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:itfbc.237$(E-Mail Removed). ..
> Hi All,
> Dumb question of the day #2
>
> I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the best way
> to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without having to re-install
> and re-configue everything? Can I just do a full XP backup to the "d"

drive.
> Swap out the "c" drive with the new one and then do a full restore from

the
> backup? How much *pain* am I in for?
>
> TIA

The Prophecy

Yes i agree, make an image of the original drive and copy/install it to the
new one. A very good program to use for this operation (although not free)
is Norton Ghost 2003.

hushia wrote:
> You should make an image, not a backup of the systemdisk.
> Then replace it and restore the image on the new disk.
> And don't worry, if things go wrong you still have the original disk
> you can put back.
>
> "whenindoubt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:itfbc.237$(E-Mail Removed). ..
>> Hi All,
>> Dumb question of the day #2
>>
>> I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the
>> best way to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without
>> having to re-install and re-configue everything? Can I just do a
>> full XP backup to the "d" drive. Swap out the "c" drive with the new
>> one and then do a full restore from the backup? How much *pain* am I
>> in for?
>>
>> TIA

James

On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 15:16:30 GMT, "whenindoubt"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi All,
>Dumb question of the day #2
>
>I have a pc running xpPro with 2 5400 rpm 4gb drives. What is the best way
>to swap out the "c" drive with a 7200 rpm one without having to re-install
>and re-configue everything? Can I just do a full XP backup to the "d" drive.
>Swap out the "c" drive with the new one and then do a full restore from the
>backup? How much *pain* am I in for?
>
>TIA

Did the same thing myself last weekend - used Norton Ghost.

Install new drive as a slave, then clone the old drive to the new
drive. Change jumpers to make new drive the master and reboot. All
done, no pain, no setting up required.

When you first reboot I suggest you temporarily disconnect your old
drive when you re-boot so that you PC only recognises the new drive.
Then if you want to keep the old drive in place just reconnect it and
change it's jumper setting to slave.

I worried I would lose my data (this was my first attempt as upgrading
a drive and migrating the data) but it all worked without a hitch.