Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > april 1st double whammy

april 1st double whammy

philo

what a bad day for me...
first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

what a day to have such rotten luck!

Shel-hed

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>what a bad day for me...
>first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

How does a case short to ground?

>thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I wouldn't consider
it bad luck.

>what a day to have such rotten luck!

???

philo

"Shel-hed" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
> >what a bad day for me...
> >first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

> How does a case short to ground?
>
> >thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

> If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I

wouldn't consider
> it bad luck.

when i was a kid...we came up with a great fuse tester:
a high current source with an ammeter...
two test leads and a switch.

the note on the device read:

connect fuse to leads.
turn switch "on".
if meter deflects momentarily, fuse *was* good!

Juan Pérez

In news:(E-Mail Removed),
philo <(E-Mail Removed)> astounded everyone with this perfectly
punctuated offering:
> what a bad day for me...
> first, my computer's case shorted to ground...
>

> thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!
>
> what a day to have such rotten luck!

Is there a question here? If you are just looking for sympathy, you'll
find it in your dictionary somewhere between Shite and Syphilis.

geopelia

"Juan Pérez" <juan234@.5678.spaz.spa> wrote in message
news:%k%ac.7657$(E-Mail Removed) ink.net...
> In news:(E-Mail Removed),
> philo <(E-Mail Removed)> astounded everyone with this perfectly
> punctuated offering:
> > what a bad day for me...
> > first, my computer's case shorted to ground...
> >

> > thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!
> >
> > what a day to have such rotten luck!

> Is there a question here? If you are just looking for sympathy, you'll
> find it in your dictionary somewhere between Shite and Syphilis.

There's food for thought!
I prefer the old fuses where you just put a wire through, easy to see if it
has failed and replace the wire. Too big for computers, though.

The Old Sourdough

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:43:24 +0000, Shel-hed gibbered like a sex-crazed
chimpanzee in <(E-Mail Removed)>

> On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
>
>>what a bad day for me...
>>first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

> How does a case short to ground?
>
>>thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

> If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
> wouldn't consider it bad luck.
>
>>what a day to have such rotten luck!

> ???

I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel?

--
The Old Sourdough
Beer!!11!! The staff of life.

philo

"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed) ...
> On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 19:43:24 +0000, Shel-hed gibbered like a sex-crazed
> chimpanzee in <(E-Mail Removed)>
>
> > On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:10:53 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> > 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
> >
> >>what a bad day for me...
> >>first, my computer's case shorted to ground...

> > How does a case short to ground?
> >
> >>thought maybe it was a fuse....checked them and they were all shorted!

> > If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
> > wouldn't consider it bad luck.
> >
> >>what a day to have such rotten luck!

> > ???

> I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel?

I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
line was making things a bit too obvious...
i guess not!

The Old Sourdough

On Thu, 01 Apr 2004 22:22:39 -0600, philo gibbered like a sex-crazed
chimpanzee in <(E-Mail Removed)>

snip

> I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
> line was making things a bit too obvious...
> i guess not!

<:^)

--
The Old Sourdough
Beer!!11!! The staff of life.
himself at theoldsourdough dot com

Gary G. Taylor

Shel-hed wrote:

> If I put meter leads on the ends of a fuse and it shows shorted, I
> wouldn't consider it bad luck.

Indeed. One of the corollaries of Murphy's Law states that a piece of
equipment will always protect the fuse by blowing first.

--
Gary G. Taylor * Rialto, CA

Shel-hed

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 22:22:39 -0600, "philo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
24hoursupport.helpdesk:

>"The Old Sourdough" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news(E-Mail Removed) m...
>> I guess the fact that it's April 1 kinda went WHOOOSH!!, eh, Shel?

Piggybacked to OS-
No need to whooosh any more. All that is neededed is
"brrruuuum brumm *BRAP POP* brrrrmmmm rrrrrmmmm......

>I sort of thought that by putting the date as april 1st right in the subject
>line was making things a bit too obvious...
>i guess not!

In my own defense, in this group (tintg), half the posts say "I'm a dum-asss" in one
way or another. Something simple like one too many beers can cause ones posts to tip
to the wrong side of the fence.
( "Posts"... "Fence"...? Get it? HAHA! )