Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > shut down windows problem

shut down windows problem

miss calm

For some reason whenever I select 'shut down' from the Start Menu I find
that my shut-down in the small 'shut-down' menu (which appears in the centre
of the desktop) is in 'stand-by' mode.
I have to retick the box to 'shut-down' everytime.
I wonder if some programme may have altered the properties?
How can I fix this?
thanks......

Emrys Davies

Only reason I can think of is that you had previously selected
'Standby', which is a very sensible mode during the day. Go to Start >
Shutdown > Select a mode > Help > for some useful explanations of these
options.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"miss calm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4h0ph$4h2$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For some reason whenever I select 'shut down' from the Start Menu I

find
> that my shut-down in the small 'shut-down' menu (which appears in the

centre
> of the desktop) is in 'stand-by' mode.
> I have to retick the box to 'shut-down' everytime.
> I wonder if some programme may have altered the properties?
> How can I fix this?
> thanks......

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=B0Mike=B0=22?=

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:13:52 +0100, "miss calm" <(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>For some reason whenever I select 'shut down' from the Start Menu I find
>that my shut-down in the small 'shut-down' menu (which appears in the centre
>of the desktop) is in 'stand-by' mode.
>I have to retick the box to 'shut-down' everytime.
>I wonder if some programme may have altered the properties?
>How can I fix this?
>thanks......

Sounds like your PC is knackerd

Unk

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 13:13:52 +0100, "miss calm" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>For some reason whenever I select 'shut down' from the Start Menu I find
>that my shut-down in the small 'shut-down' menu (which appears in the centre
>of the desktop) is in 'stand-by' mode.
>I have to retick the box to 'shut-down' everytime.
>I wonder if some programme may have altered the properties?
>How can I fix this?
>thanks......

Try this:
Check the "Shutdown" box, then click "OK"
The next time you shutdown, the box will already be checked.
If you want to restart, don't check the box, just double-click "Restart"
The box that you check, then click "OK" is the box that will STAY checked.