Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > Two Questions: Word document 'in use' - can they be freed? AND Win2K Server admin.

Two Questions: Word document 'in use' - can they be freed? AND Win2K Server admin.

AndyŻ

Dear all,

Question One
=========
Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup (NTBackup -
Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use' presumably due to a crash
on a client PC elsewhere in the building during the day (I have checked PCs
are not left on or leffed logged in overnight).

Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

Question Two
=========

Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences. Can
this be done (same server setup Win2K)

Regards
Andy.

Ralph Wade Phillips

Howdy!

"AndyŻ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:c4gos0$2ilih2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
> Dear all,
>
> Question One
> =========
> Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup

(NTBackup -
> Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use' presumably due to a

crash
> on a client PC elsewhere in the building during the day (I have checked

PCs
> are not left on or leffed logged in overnight).
>
> Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

Easiest is to reboot the server.

There are utilities to do this. Plus, a competent backup program
(Veritas Backup Exec, for instance) can also backup "busy" files.

> Question Two
> =========
>
> Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
> terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences. Can
> this be done (same server setup Win2K)

Check the domain policy for "Force logoffs when logon time expires"
and set the logoff times for the users.

RwP

AndyŻ

Ralph Wade Phillips wrote:
> Howdy!
>
> "AndyŻ" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:c4gos0$2ilih2$(E-Mail Removed)-berlin.de...
>> Dear all,
>>
>> Question One
>> =========
>> Occasionally on our server a document (M$ Word) will not backup
>> (NTBackup - Win2000 Server) as it is currently still 'in use'
>> presumably due to a crash on a client PC elsewhere in the building
>> during the day (I have checked PCs are not left on or leffed logged
>> in overnight).
>>
>> Is there are way of freeing these 'in use' documents up?

> Easiest is to reboot the server.
>
> There are utilities to do this. Plus, a competent backup
> program (Veritas Backup Exec, for instance) can also backup "busy"
> files.
>

>> Question Two
>> =========
>>
>> Loosely related to the above. I'd like to schedlue a 'batch
>> terminate/forceoff' of all logins before a nightly backup commences.
>> Can this be done (same server setup Win2K)

> Check the domain policy for "Force logoffs when logon time
> expires" and set the logoff times for the users.
>
> RwP

Thanks for the tips. I've used Veritas before and it is great; unfortunately
however where I am currently doesn't have that kind of budget. I'll look at
the policy logn expiry issue.

Cheers,

Andy.