Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Computer Support > prolonged charging Li-ion in Laptop

prolonged charging Li-ion in Laptop

Joan Bakker

Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
Thank you in advance for your advice!
Joan

Dan Shea

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 07:53:16 +0200, "Joan Bakker"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
>machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
>empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
>way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
>connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
>laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
>which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
>Thank you in advance for your advice!

Yes, there are. You can't overcharge your laptop battery. Feel free
to keep your laptop plugged in as much as you like. Also, Li-Ion
batteries don't have the "memory" that older laptop batteries do, so
you don't need to discharge it completely before charging it up.

Cheers,
dan

Unk

<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
>machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
>empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
>way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
>connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
>laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
>which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
>Thank you in advance for your advice!
>Joan

I would leave the charger connected all the time, and not discharge the
battery on a daily basis. Li-ion batteries only have a life of around 500
charge/discharge cycles. A continuous trickle-charge won't damage it.
http://www.emergingpower.com/oem/oem_liion.htm

Joan

Thank you for your quick reply!
Joan.

Dan Shea

On Thu, 1 Apr 2004 08:09:58 +0200, "Joan"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Thank you for your quick reply!

You're welcome. I second Unk's remarks, as well.

Cheers,
dan

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22=B0Mike=B0=22?=

<(E-Mail Removed)>,wrote:

>Hi, I am a very frequent user of my laptop. I do'nt have such a big desktop
>machine. The question regards my Li-ion battery. I can run for 1,5 h before
>empty and at that time the machine must be connected to the charger. In this
>way every day the battery is unloaded once. Should it not be better to
>connect the machine continuously to the charger and only to charge when the
>laptop was used for longer time elsewhere? Are there electronic circuits
>which prevent damage to the battry during prolonged charging?
>Thank you in advance for your advice!
>Joan

It doesn't hurt the ****ing battery you idiot.

NoMoHoe

I am not so sure about continuous charging and battery life. I have 2
laptop batteries on my shelf from 2 people who leave the laptop plugged in
24/7. Upon dissection, both battery packs have the same type of failure:
one cell that is totally dead, high resistance or open totally. The rest of
the cells in the pack seem fine. One is a Dell Battery module p/n 1691P the
other is an HP F1739A. Since encountering these dead batteries, I no longer
leave the laptop continuously plugged in.
news:406bade5$0$24338$(E-Mail Removed).. .